FS14 In French Polynesia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 In French Polynesia

Post by jorgepease »

Don't forget to set up a camera to shoot a pic every minute so you can time-lapse it when your done and good luck to you, I made almost daily runs to the hardware or other stores to get things I didn't have so this will be a true challenge ))

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I have no idea how you will get anything done on the boat with that view :!: I could just stand there
and stare at the horizon for hours 8) Good luck .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I could just stand there
That is a beautiful view 8) But when you live on an island with a population of 6, what else are you going to do :doh: Not likely they have a movie theater, or bowling alley :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

This is a wild build. Talk about having to plan ahead.
But I'm still wondering how your Internet connection works and...is the electricity produced by a community generator?
Tony

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Aurator,

You are a brave man 8) but anything is possible ! What a view :wink: and who cares about people...boat building trumps all :lol:
Keep posting photos when you can.

Marc

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

blueflood wrote:Hi Aurator,

You are a brave man 8) but anything is possible ! What a view :wink: and who cares about people...boat building trumps all :lol:
Keep posting photos when you can.

The view is wonderful, it did often lead to longer pondering sessions than were strictly necessary.
terrulian wrote:This is a wild build. Talk about having to plan ahead.
But I'm still wondering how your Internet connection works and...is the electricity produced by a community generator?

No internet connection on Toau. I do have an Iridium phone I use for staying in touch. As for the power there are three households on the island and each one produces its own power usually with a small generator although there is a bit of solar too. In planning for the build I read this forum for many, many hours took lots of notes and made lots of lists. Rags, packing tape, finishing nails, screws, dowels,mixing supplies, etc. I went over and over the lists, I was afraid I was going to miss something critical that would halt the build. And then had to fit it all in to my luggage weight allowance. I ended up with two clamps (yes two) and an 4" ABS rod case I cut up to make small clamps.
Cracker Larry wrote:
I could just stand there
That is a beautiful view 8) But when you live on an island with a population of 6, what else are you going to do :doh: Not likely they have a movie theater, or bowling alley :lol:

No bowling alley, just some very serious Petanque play.
jorgepease wrote:Don't forget to set up a camera to shoot a pic every minute so you can time-lapse it when your done and good luck to you, I made almost daily runs to the hardware or other stores to get things I didn't have so this will be a true challenge ))
I did not think of that. And I had my GoPro along too. :doh: A hardware store would have been a dream come true at times!

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

I started the layout of the parts and enlisted my wife's help and she instantly displayed the ability to add, subtract and divide fractions in her head with great speed and accuracy. Worse she discovered a large error I made in laying out some of the parts. :oops: I am sure that I will hear about it less and less as the years go by. :wink:

The human calculator.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Rags, packing tape, finishing nails, screws, dowels,mixing supplies, etc. I went over and over the lists, I was afraid I was going to miss something critical that would halt the build.
Well, I sure would have. Necessity is the mother of not only invention but clear-headed planning. A definite tip of the hat to you.
While I am loathe request that you would deplete the island's rare resources to report back to us, I hope to hear updates whenever possible. :D
Tony

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

After finishing my sawhorses, I cut out all the parts. The battery powered Makita circular saw did great.

Done!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Great. What a cool build. :D
Tony