FS14 In French Polynesia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 In French Polynesia

Post by blueflood »

Hi Aurator,

To answer your question from my build;

1: All the time and then some. Sometimes to ponder the next step ahead but more often than not...to see if I have not missed anything. And lastly; simply to look at her lines and telling myself only a few more years before we see water :lol:

2: Get some professional help Aurator. I think you are showing early signs of BBV. In retrospect (after 3 years) start with a bigger boat than you need or will ever need, then build a smaller second / third one :wink:

Keep up the fun work !

Marc

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I don't get down your way much but if I do I would love to see your boat.
Just let me know if you are coming down and I will do my best to make a get together happen :D Not much I like better than spending time talking boats. Summer or winter does not matter as I have a heated shop to work in so the dory can be inside and we will have a warm and dry place to visit. Bring the family, I have plenty of room.
David

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

[quote="Aurator"]

Two questions for the forum members.
First, does any builder, ever, walk away from the boat without stopping and looking back one more time?
Second, what is going on when I am building this boat and starting to think about what to do different "on the NEXT one"??????

Yep that sounds like BBV for sure..
I take a detour on my way to work all the time just so I can drive by my dock and look at my boat :D
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

The island I am building on has a very nice anchorage directly in front of my shop. It is protected from all the common weather directions which makes it a bit unusual in the Tuamotus. The result of which is that there is a constant stream of sailing yachts coming and going. And everyone who has visited so far comes over to see my boat and have a chat. One gentleman from the East coast of the USA who was crewing on a recently arrived boat came over and was admiring the boat as I cut off the zip ties (I of course fully expected the boat to fly apart, but the spot welds held) and offered a helping hand if I needed it. I accepted his generous offer and the next morning we started to tape and glass the bottom and sides wet on wet.
It was a very long and hot day but we finished it and at the end of it all I split the last beer on the island with him. Thanks Sergei, your epoxy mixing was much appreciated.
I am not sure what the time standard is for taping and glassing the bottom and sides, but was very happy to get it all done in one day. Particularly since it was my first time working with the big pieces of biaxial cloth.

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

I mounted the tape overhead near the bow and it worked out quite well. Very easy to roll a piece out, cut it and get it in place. I used one layer of 12 ounce tape as 6 ounce was out of stock when I was buying material from BBC.

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

Looking real good!
Is that a phone booth in the back ground?
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That glass work looks great!
at the end of it all I split the last beer on the island with him.
8O :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Great job Aurator 8)
If all the guys on this forum gathered on that spot of yours fully heavy duty tool outfitted, material + extra, top notch ply and ready to go on any big boat on this site....you would see 500+ bodies on the beach, liquids in hand and a smoke in the other yapping with their butts on the sand all day... "Yeah suuureee the strongback...hmmm well we'll get to that tomorrow Aurator" :lol:

Me included :wink:
Marc

..saw the phone booth :P is there a working toilet ?....

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Looks fantastic! Having a helper and a new friend was a blessing.

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

I cut up my rod case to make clamps for the rub rail, glued them on and decided to flip the boat and glass the inside.

I didn't have the lumber to make a cradle so I filled some copra bags with coral rubble from the beach and settled the boat down on them. Seemed to support it well.