Trimarans, specifically the strike 18

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Trimarans, specifically the strike 18

Post by michael c »

Are the strike 18 plans going to be added? With the abundance of old beach cats around florida, this seems like a very good option. I'd definitely be interested in a set if they get added.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trimarans, specifically the strike 18

Post by jacquesmm »

They are available, I did not post them. I saw a nice Strike at the Port Aransas show last and spoke at length to the owner. The boat is simple to build and very roomy for it's length.
I will list the plans later today.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am working on setting up the study plans but if you are in a rush, you can order by email.
The plans for the complete boat sell for US $ 230.00, the hull only is $ 155.00.
The hull only means the main hull plus the cross arms but you supply the amas for example from a Hobie Cat. The complete boat include plans for the amas.

With the plans, you receive the usual discount coupon for our supplies: epoxy and fiberglass.
We can also cut CNC kits.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Sounds good. I'm not in any big rush, I'll buy a set for the main hull whenever they're up on the site. I'll probably do the cutting myself (with supplies from you guys, of course). I love the general structure, but I plan to work curves into the structure ahead of the beam bolts. Same for the windscreen and partial cuddy; no reason not to make it look nice and smooth instead of having that 70's tri-hull windscreen :-). I understand the rationale for using flat panels, but curves are just too nice looking not to use. I think some minor changes could help it look like a modern production boat while using an old set of nacra 5.2 hulls.

Aside from some those minor cosmetics, I absolutely love the design. I'm glad to hear the builder was happy and that you liked the one you saw. I'm more excited about it than I have been any sailboat in a long time. I've been wanting to get back into sailing, but years of racing high performance cats made it hard to stomach 6 knots of hull speed. On the other hand, fast cats (even big ones like stilettos) aren't exactly wife or dog friendly. This looks like just the ticket!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I talked to a Strike 18 owner last week and helped fold and unfold the arms: very easy, smooth even for an old guy like me.
As for the shape, it looked nice with the flat panels, not boxy at all but yes, you can customize that part.
4 mm ply bends very nicely and I may help with that: we are very comfortable with making nice compounded shapes out of plywood. However, Richard did a great job with the design of that superstructure.

Richard is at sea right now: we talked on Monday and he was ready to leave the dock to sail along the coast of the Gulf all the way to Florida.
I don't know where he is now but he probably does'nt have any internet connection.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Knowing that you've had a chance to see one (and liked it) makes me a lot more confident going with that design. I think he really hit the sweet spot in terms of compromise on weight/convenience/speed/simplicity. That's a really tough set of conflicting demands to integrate in the smaller multihulls. I love the way this one came out using Nacra 5.2 hulls: https://www.flickr.com/photos/astraltx/ ... ?ytcheck=1

I hope he has an enjoyable journey - this is a great time of year to sail on the gulf! Although with all of the northeasterly wind recently, I bet he wishes he was headed in the opposite direction :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Richard is at sea now. He is sailing East but at the edge of that hurricane in Mexico. We may have to wait a couple of days to hear his comments.
The one I saw had Hobie cat hulls, less volume than the Nacra but sufficient.

Correction: just received a message from Richard, he stopped at a safe marina but has some Internet problems.

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

I am on line again now, sheltering in a marina near Houston and waiting for rain

Yes it is not much fun "windward bashing" even in a powerboat! Even had a couple of waves break over the windshield 9ft above the water

Skoota will stay here until Dec as I fly home to the UK in a couple of weeks

Anyway great you like the Strike concept, I just sent Jacques the plans. A number of builders have changed the windshield

My wife likes sailing the Strike because it is comfortable, dry and feels safe with the deep cockpit. Too many small trimarans concentrate on manly speed and ignore less keen family members who get put off by wet and cold

Strike is still a fast boat though, you have probably seen the video of us racing a F24

Richard Woods

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Woods Designs wrote:I am on line again now, sheltering in a marina near Houston and waiting for rain

Yes it is not much fun "windward bashing" even in a powerboat! Even had a couple of waves break over the windshield 9ft above the water

Skoota will stay here until Dec as I fly home to the UK in a couple of weeks

Anyway great you like the Strike concept, I just sent Jacques the plans. A number of builders have changed the windshield

My wife likes sailing the Strike because it is comfortable, dry and feels safe with the deep cockpit. Too many small trimarans concentrate on manly speed and ignore less keen family members who get put off by wet and cold

Strike is still a fast boat though, you have probably seen the video of us racing a F24

Richard Woods
I'm glad you're safe - that sounds like a rough trip. I really love the simplicity of the design. Structurally, any issues with using the rig from a Nacra 5.5 or 18 square (with the beams cut down to normal width)? I'll be looking for a solid Nacra 5.2, but I've seen a lot of 18 squares in great shape for sale recently. The extra power doesn't bother me, I'm used to light/fast boats and know how to be conservative when I need to. I'm only wondering about the structure, and how much sail area is reasonable as long as I'm also using proportionately higher volume amas. It'll be sailed exclusively in Florida, so light air is a bigger issue than occasionally needing to depower or use a smaller main.

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

We actually had an 18sqm on our own Strike. However I cut the hulls down to 16ft and reduced the rig to make it lighter to raise and of course to make it more 16ft beach cat sized which I needed to prove the design

So yes you can use a 18sqm rig although of course you will need a jib, I got mine on eBay

It's been raining hard now for nearly 24hrs, good thing we have a comfortable live aboard boat as we are not going outside!

Richard Woods