FS13 - Bootje

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS13 - Bootje

Post by Gramps »

How do you pronounce 'bootje'? Is it "boot-jay"? or "booge"? or something else? My brain insists on stopping to ponder this each time I cross this thread.
Wife says it is "boo" - "che" I'll have to ask the Oma at Christmas for an official pronunciation.

I have to admit, I don't have a need for this either. But I wanted to build one! It is small and cheap enough to store/paddle/transport as a kayak/sup if it doesn't have power. So it'll stay around, plus I got eyes on some property with a 6 acre lake!

Sticky - thanks for the tip!

Dougster - Minn Kota just released a self deploy / self stow troller. It's the Riptide Ulterra and costs nearly MORE than a brand new 5hp motor! But it might just be the ticket! Edit: The troller starts at $2,000 and a Merc. 5hp is $1,500!!! :doh:

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Wow, that may be nice if it's reliable, but kinda silly pricey. I suppose a little outboard is more practical. Still, I'll go peek at that Ulterra for grins. BTW, I'm still fool ling with the FS13 model I'm making. I broke a bottom panel of the scrap Luan I had and went to Home Depot. They had a sheet of skinny, bendy little door skin stuff for 8 bucks so I brought one home and cut two new bottom panels. Today I"ll play with stitching them up. Doing the model is enlightening as you can fool around with the stitch up easily and really get to understand that process. A little this and that makes a big difference.

Hill Country Dougster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

When you build a model, you must also scale down the thickness of the plywood.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Got a little more done this weekend. Weather has been weird around here, in the 70's last week, dropped with a rainy front this weekend and will be back to nearly 70 this week. Eh, I can't complain since I hate cold weather without snow.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Dang that transom looks big! That's the 17" option for an outboard for sure. Did you cut the scupper drain from the start or wait to see if it lines up with the sole first? On my model, the drain is a bit high as I drew it. It's fun to see it coming along real size. You gonna use outboard power or troll motor, or still pondering?

Hill country Dougster.

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Yeah she is a biggun Dougster! I like the look that some production boats have rather than the arc JMM uses. Do remember the side panels are only about 9" tall! So the additional 8" for the outboard makes it look rather humongous!

I cut the drain from the start.... had not even given thought to the final elevation in relation the sole. :doh: So as of now, I have no idea how it will fall in relation! Guess that'll get checked tonight.

Planing on paddling at first and adding a motor later. There are a few clean 5hp Mercury 2 strokes down in here Houston, would be a really nice fit for the boat. But, last time driving a tiller boat I was thrown out in a hard unintentional turn. This boat will be tested via paddle only for now. :wink:

ScottR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScottR »

Gramps,

Quick question and forgive my ignorance but what are the PVC pipe pieces for?

Thanks
ScottR

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Scott the PVC dowels help keep the panel edges aligned. This is my first build and everyone recommends using them, so I did.

Taken from BayportBob's FS18 Blog

"The other huge benefit of the dowels is that they help not only align the strips (edges), but also evened out the adjacent edges and greatly reduce or eliminated the "stair stepping" I experienced by just using the tie wraps alone."

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Gramps wrote:Scott the PVC dowels help keep the panel edges aligned. This is my first build and everyone recommends using them, so I did.

Taken from BayportBob's FS18 Blog

"The other huge benefit of the dowels is that they help not only align the strips (edges), but also evened out the adjacent edges and greatly reduce or eliminated the "stair stepping" I experienced by just using the tie wraps alone."
I was just going to say that . . . :lol:
Thanks for the post.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Just noticed this system. Pricey at $850 Canadian but no battery needed, so who knows :doh:
http://www.h2proped.com/

Wandering mind Dougster