New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New AD14 build

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I wonder why Jeff did not mention the rubrail they sell at Bateau from Tessilmare which is plastic and can be easily attached. I am thinking of putting it onto my AD14 if the edge on both sides does not turn out all that nice.
I like Jaysens decription of how to attach strips of rubrail. I just dont understand why screwing it from the inside because there is no chance on the whole boat to clamp the strip on the outside except one has a clamp as wide as the seats and as the foredeck. On my FS13 I just screwed the rubbing strip from the outside and after 10 hours of the epoxy hardening I took the screws out again. There is always the chance one can get the edge so nice that one only needs a fender like good old Bondo. I hope he does not mind if I show you his result.
Greetings from Karl
Last edited by gonandkarl on Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Here is the detail of it:
Product ID: BP_1235_wht_roll
Rigid rub rail white per 50' roll
Product ID: BP_1235_wht_roll
Rigid rub rail white per 50' roll
A two-piece system comprised of a rigid base and flexible insert. The rigid base provides for a straight installation and the flexible insert provides a cushioning effect. Pre-drilled every 6" for a #8 screw - makes for very easy installation vs. flexible rub rail. Both black (8178) and white (878) insert will fit.
We have used this rub rail on our own boats and really like how easy it installs. Also, gives a very clean look.
50' max continuous single length
List Price: $150.00
Price: $95.00
The picture of it you can see on Boatbuilding Supplies on the link next to Boat Plans and Kits. I was not capable of copying it to this post.
Greetings from Karl

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

waytootall wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:29 pm I was planning to run the rubber strip along the entire length of the boat including the curved section along the deck/hull seam.
Actually, I wasn't addressing strength, function or appearance, merely thinking that if you fold that rubber strip into an L shape it will not want to take a curve as great as it would need to on your boat.

I also am of the opinion that you can do better using some other material, in regards to strength, function and appearance! You've gotten some good suggestions already.
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Sorry to hijack the thread but Bondo's boat looks great. Looks like he went with wooden spars; I thought I remembered his thinking of aluminum. Please forward my compliments if you're in touch.

In regard to attachment: That's why most rub rails come with an insertion. You screw the base in and then squeeze the rubber insert in, which hides the screws. These are difficult, however, at the bow when an acute angle has to be made.

Don't know about counting on fenders and skipping the rub rail. Touching up against something hard is pretty common even with fenders in place--for example, when approaching another boat to raft up, or when tying up to bollards when you don't have a fenderboard. It only has be be a slight impact to leave a mark in that lovely new paint. :roll:
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

gonandkarl - Were you thinking of using the rubrail by Tessilmare like you mentioned (http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... TM_Rubrail) or the BP_1235_wht_roll you posted the info about? (http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... 5_wht_roll)

I don't see exactly how to install those so that they would cover imperfect seams. I can see aligning it centered over the hull/cabin seam maybe - if it will follow the angle enough. But I don't see how that would wrap around from the hull/seat curve any. What am I missing? The flat rubber roll actually curves over from hull to seat (L curve) very well as shown in the picture. But I defiantly prefer the more professional look of the rubrails goanandkarl pointed out if they will bridge the seam. I had seen those elsewhere, but I remember them being really expensive elsewhere.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Yes I was thinking of the rubrail bateau sells in rolls but you are so right they function only on one side of the corner and will not hide any imperfection on the edge. I will first try to get the corner as nice as Bondo and maybe do without a rubrail. Thinking out loud the instructions for you how to install rubrail strips in an earlier post with screwing and epoxying it to the side could perhaps be extended to glue a straight piece on top following the curve and such it would cover up any not so nice corner.
Greetings from Karl

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I used an Oak rub rail on my boat 1+2 inch it went on well but do ont use OAK I need to refinish it every year the spar varnish dose not take well to the OAK. I use 3 fenders on my boat and have had no side damage in the 7-8 years I have had it I do more damage putting it on and off the the trailer but you need to paint it every few years at any rate. You will have a lot of fun out of it.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I am real glad to see a picture of Bondoos boat It looks real good I stopped in to see it once while it was under construction before he left the site then I lost contact with him he did a real good job on his boat. Glad to see he finished it. If you know how to get in contact with him let me know.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

The last 2 weekends have been about the boat trailer. I ordered the kit from Harbor Freight tools and it has worked out OK. The kit is pretty good quality and went together well.

Unfortunately the bunks and rollers won't work with the keel shoe so I had to build new ones

I then rigged up the same hoist system I used to flip the boat in order to transfer it from the building cradle

It was quite frightening to have it hanging 4 feet up in the air! Then set it onto the trailer for transportation to the water in a few weeks.

I have some work to do with the hoist and front bumper on the trailer still since they are now too low with the new bunks but it is close. I say "to the water in a few weeks" because lacrosse season is starting for my kids so I will be spending weekends at tournaments and not getting as much work done.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

A very cool new stage!
Tony