New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by waytootall »

I haven't been able to get much done the last few weeks due to activities with the kids. I have manages to make the rudder. It is now ready for staining and epoxy.

I am pretty happy with the wing profile I managed to get. A lot of planning.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Started the painting process. I am happy with how the paint makes the wood contrast nicely. The first primer coat did expose some uneven spots so I have more filling and sanding to do before any finish coats.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Looking good. :D
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

I am starting to look forward to getting the boat to the water this summer, so I need a trailer. Shopping around I see most trailers are for larger boats. Do you think I could use a jetski trailer for a 14' boat?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
A Jetski trailer will be a bit to short but try to get the smallest boat trailer available. I got mine which is for a boat length of 4.50 metre and 450 kg ( 992 pounds ) gross weight . The trailer weighs 125 kg ( 275 pounds ) and this leaves me 325 kg ( 716 pounds ) for the AD14 which is a bit more than our boats weight per plan. The trailer is unbraked and is rather basic with one keel roller and 2 double weel rollers near the end and therefore I will have to modify it with 2 bunks. If you should tow the boat frequently further than 100 miles I would advise you to get something like my trailer but with double the capacity and maybe with brakes. I will tow my Adelie approximately 30 - 40 miles to nearby lakes and therefore I think a 1000 pound gross weight trailer is fine for me.

Here it is originally bought for the row boat and the Adelie :

In the meantime I have used it also for the FS13 :

Make your decision depending on the distance you will be towing and if you want to push the trailer over a slip into the water to float the boat. I do not think this is possible with a Jetski trailer.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Thanks for the thoughts. I am lucky since I only need to tow the boat about 2 miles (5km) to the nearest boat ramp :)

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

I finally have some progress to show. Mostly I have just been sanding a LOT. I have pretty much finished the rudder and tiller. Just applying the last coat of varnish.

I am also varishing the porthole rings

And then installing the rudder

I will be buying a used sail tomorrow. My wife offered to sew one for me, but I can get a used one that is close enough to get me started cheaper. I am looking for a used trailer but I might just end up with this kit from Harbour Freight tools: http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lbs-ca ... 62668.html and then I am ready to test it in the water since the weather is right!

Still more finishing work and real rigging work to do, but I want to try it to figure out how I want to rig and finish it and then make iterative improvements.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Waytootall, great work!! Splashing soon??? Jeff

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Hopefully within a month. I have to break down and buy the stuff I can't build.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good Waytootall!! Make sure you keep the photos coming!! Jeff