ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the laughs cape 'n barra men. Alerts me yet again that I use words and phrases somewhat loosely. But I enjoy playing with them. :roll:

Anyway, for no apparent immediate reason, today I decided that it was past time to rectify two of Great Sandy's most required maintenance issues mid-cruising: at times the depth sounder/depth meter freezes, just when you need to know how much drink is under you, and the prop shaft's dripless seal bearing is no longer dripless. For safety's sake, Great Sandy needs to be hauled out mid-cruise to replace the depth transducer and the dripless prop shaft seal.

So parts are now ordered, and the haul out booked. Feels better having faced up to what's required. In reality, no more than ongoing maintenance of a blue-water cruising sailboat. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Didn’t you recently replace the prop seal or cutlass?

What are you using for depth? My Hawkeye has never liked to work so I’m in the market.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:22 am Didn’t you recently replace the prop seal or cutlass? What are you using for depth? My Hawkeye has never liked to work so I’m in the market.
When launched in 1996 she had a Raymarine ST30 depth head and transducer. When the head died, I replaced it with a Raymarine i40, and retained the transducer. Now that it is dying, I'm replacing it with an i40 compatible Raymarine P17 D transducer. I recently replaced the cutlass bearing but not the prop shaft seal.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

For weeks it's been blowing from the north, and is forecast to do so for another week. Highly unusual to get such an extended northerly event, even at this time of the year.

So today we revelled in a broad- reach-sail southwards to one of our favourite anchorages protected from northerlies - Bill Bob Bay on the southern face of Shaw Island. Lat 20.31.37 S, Lng 149.03.47 E.

Stunning remote wilderness anchorage. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I keep telling myself “these places aren’t real@ then you go and send me a picture of the unreal place you are anchored!

Glad you have both a safe and beautiful anchorage. Open a bottle and enjoy!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I do believe Australia has badly missed the mark. Glossie should be in charge of promoting tourism for the nation :wink:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:39 pm I do believe Australia has badly missed the mark. Glossie should be in charge of promoting tourism for the nation :wink:
+1

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Completely agree with Fuzz!!!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Glad you like our Aussie Whitsunday Islands cruising smorgasbord Jaysen, Fuzz, Tom and Jeff. :D

We've spent the past couple of days exploring the Whitsunday's Thomas Island by boat and by foot. The winds are still consistently from the north, so we've over-nighted in anchorages 3 and 4 depicted in the map below. Anchorage 3 is very special, in that you can access the beach regardless of tide, as there is a clear channel through the fringing coral reef.

We've been picnic-lunching and swimming at anchorages 1 and 2, the later adjacent to Naked Lady Beach with a sign that seems irresistible to backpackers of a certain sex with an eye to an eye-catching selfie.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:33 am We've been picnic-lunching and swimming at anchorages 1 and 2, the later adjacent to Naked Lady Beach with a sign that seems irresistible to backpackers of a certain sex with an eye to an eye-catching self
And I rest my case for Glossie as tourism czar :lol: