ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:18 am When do you think your taking off?
Mid July there is a 'maybe window' - tides just enough at right time of day, but sea state would need to be calm or a light swell. Time will tell.
Fuzz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 pm I think that is the first picture I have seen of the inside of Great Sandy.
cape man wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:20 am That's because he's hiding a saloon behind that door! :lol: :lol:
Over the past few days I've moved aft of the saloon door and been doing internal painting maintenance in the navigation station, kitchen and quarter berths. I'm really enjoying it. Will post pics when done. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB you must be a sadist, no one I know of enjoys painting. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:14 am GB you must be a sadist, no one I know of enjoys painting. :lol:
When ten year old Great Sandy came into our lives fifteen plus years ago, I was gob smacked by the quality of her wooden boat build and finish. I considered her interior white painted cold molded timber skin over contrasting varnished timber framing a minimalist masterpiece.

When sections of her interior white skin started to need attention a number of years ago, I kept putting remediation off, as I was daunted by the challenge of matching the quality of the original.

Recently I've taken stock. Sections of her interior white painted timber skin were starting to look crap. I knew I could make then look better, even if not as good as the original.

Why I'm enjoying this job so much is that I've surprised myself at how good I'm getting it - not as good as the original - but a whole lot better than it was few month ago, and good enough to take pride in. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff GB!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Well said GB! :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I think part of the reason this thread is 660 pages is your wonderful way with words. I love how you explain your reasoning for the way you do things. In all fairness where you live and your wonderful boats might have just a little to do with it also.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff, Tom and Fuzz. :D

In order to repaint the internal face of the bulkhead between the cockpit and the interior, I had to remove the bulkhead- mounted compass designed to be readable from both exterior and interior.

I was surprised to find that over half of the dampening fluid of the compass was no longer there, leaving the floating card high and dry enough to be non operational - see pic from internal side below. The card should be floating horizontally

I suspect the small o-ring on the filling inlet has failed.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to source replacement fluid and o-ring, then try to top the compass up.

Anybody attempted topping up compass fluid?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Have never done it, but I would drain it completely and put all new fluid to assure that you don't put two different fluids together. Seems there are several "compass fluids" out there...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with cape man check with the brand of compass you have and see what they have for replacement fluid or repair kits.

Tom

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man and Tom. I drained out the existing fluid and filled with new. The card is not levelling, though gyro appears to be working when I move the compass around. Pondering.