ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

I can't help myself. I'm putting in the hours preparing Great Sandy to go blue water cruising, when I'd planned to work on Skinnydip first. Recent floods have cleaned out the Noosa River bar enough to make an early exit in Great Sandy enticing. The following footage was shot two weeks ago in benign conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRWiHrOLJw&t=12s
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

That looks like a very complex bar to me Michael - I think I’ll give it a miss! :help:

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

glossieblack wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:29 am I can't help myself. I'm putting in the hours preparing Great Sandy to go blue water cruising, when I'd planned to work on Skinnydip first. Recent floods have cleaned out the Noosa River bar enough to make an early exit in Great Sandy enticing. The following footage was shot two weeks ago in benign conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRWiHrOLJw&t=12s
do you typically go round the edge or out the middle?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

GB, I completely agree with BarraMan, that appears to be a very complex point to navigate!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

How do you find your way through there? How many turns do you have to make? Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Barra Man, jonnymac, Jeff and Tom. :D

The predominant channel over the past twenty years has been around the edge. It always has challenging shallows, but at least you know where the channel is by referencing the shoreline. The trick is to wait for a big enough tide in daylight to get over the shallows then out over the bar proper.

The less dominant track is approximately down the middle, which is more the case now, but not quite yet. The challenge is knowing where the middle channel actually is, particularly when there is suspended sediment in the water and you can't see the bottom. There are few immediate visual references, and the channel varies daily according to tide, flood state and wind. Again there are shallow spots where you need high tide assistance, but usually slightly less so than with the side channel.

Both channels require constant helming adjustments. Outgoing or incoming, it's a stress-full half hour or so, no matter if you're a novice or an old salt. We choose to go out and in only each way each year. :help:

But once you're out or in, what relief and exhilaration! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The child bride and I are celebrating our 53rd wedding anniversary today. We consider ourselves blessed. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Congratulations Michael, that’s awesome! We are coming up to 45 yrs in October, which I find hard to believe!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Congratulations! We just had our 40th and I thought that was a big number, but 53 is a whole 'nother level.

When you get it right every day is a blessing, and you two obviously got it right. 8)
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats GB!!! That is amazing!!! I hope you have a GREAT day with the child bride!!! Jeff