ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TomW1 »

GB with a wooden hull like Great Sandy's how do you fix her. Just curious. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 pm GB with a wooden hull like Great Sandy's how do you fix her. Just curious. Tom
Bog the hole with Blackjack®, and you’re ‘good-to-go’! :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Ok, so what is BlackJack :doh:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 am Ok, so what is BlackJack :doh:
Bitumen/tar putty! Once in common use here to repair leaks in galvanised steel tanks and roofs ......... and canoes we used to make out of a sheet of galvanised steel! :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee, Craig, Jeff, Fuzz, Tom, and Richard. :D
TomW1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 pm GB with a wooden hull like Great Sandy's how do you fix her. Just curious. Tom
She's cold moulded out of two layers of 1/3" thick timber over hardwood stringers set no more than 8" apart which run fwd-aft over hardwood frames at 3' centres. The two layers of planking run approx. 45 degrees to the stingers and at approx. 90- degrees to each other. Hence she's double diagonal cold moulded. The frames are anchored to keel plank/hog which is her spine or backbone.

Fundamentally, the keel plank/hog, frames (many braced by bulkheads), stingers, deck beams and coach house beams form her three dimensional structural frame. The double diagonal planking forms the skin over the structural frame to keep water out.

Hauling out was necessary to determine if Great Sandy's structural frame had been damaged as well as her skin, or only her skin. The former would involve at least a month on the hard, the latter about a week.

Fortunately, we should be back in the drink in about a week. The tapering forward section of Great Sandy's lead keel absorbed the shock load as it rode up onto the coral bommie, the long shallow keel distributed the shock load to keel plank/hg, multiple frames, and long run of stringers. No structural damage.

The only damage was to the double diagonal timber skin, presumable caused by a coral pimple higher on the bommie than where the tapering keel hit. One of both the outer and inner plans diagonal planks were pierced.

The first pic below shows the position of the skin piercing, just aft of the commencement of the tapering lead keep, along with antifouling work in progress (never waste a haul out :wink: )

The second pic shows where the damaged section of the outer diagonal plank has been removed with a router, ready for gluing in a new section of plank.
The third pic was taken after the damaged part of the inner diagonal plank which consisted of a raised flap was removed by hand, and the damaged part of the outer plank was removed by routing.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

How big was the damage (square cm) before routing? I see the hole and I’m wondering how big your bilge pumps are to move that much water. I’m assuming it was somewhat smaller originally.

Glad to hear it isn’t structural. I can’t imagine how hard you must have hit to be worried that it was. Also makes me glad to be in sand/mud bottom area when I think about my own sailing.

Can’t wait till you have her back in the water.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Other than the hole the wood looks really good!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow GB!!! Just glad all is well!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB I know that the hole was smaller than the routed out one is but still that is a pretty big hole. Glad your pumps were able to handle the water and you will only be out of action for a week. How in the heck did you ever end up on the reef in the first place, that must be a story in itself. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

When suddenly we struck and were stuck on an isolated coral bommie - port and starboard pics below.
/ (ˈbɒmɪ) / noun. Australian an outcrop of coral reef, often resembling a column, that is higher than the surrounding platform of reef and which may be partially exposed at low tide.

If anyone else here has never hit something submerged they aren't using their boat enough!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman