ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TheBroomside »

Just an idea: airbubble?
Peter

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

My guess as well.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

+3 Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Peter, cape man and Tom.

Initially I thought it wasn't an air bubble problem - all of the the out of level compass card was submerged in fluid, well below a vey small air bubble at the top of the fluid's spherical enclosure.

Then the light-bulb moment. The compass card has a downturned edge so perhaps there was is an air bubble trapped under the compass card itself.

Sure enough. :D

Is this what you guys were suggesting?

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

an air bubble trapped under the compass card itself.
Exactly. A small air bubble at the top is often there and generally does not interfere.

Regards,

Peter
LUS

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Peter. :D

Unfortunately my attempted repair to the stripped thread of the compass fluid refilling hole failed, and fluid was once again slowly leaking, so I've had to go back to square one.

I've attempted closing of the faulty filling hole with Sikaflex sealant and creating a new one.

I'll give the sealant a couple of days to set, then see if the fix works. Time will tell.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good luck GB!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Best of luck to you GB!!!! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Tom. I've set the compass aside to give the sika a three or four days to harden.

Today I installed a second set of rowlocks on Feather Pram. The first set installed a couple of months ago was for rowing solo. The second set installed today is for rowing with a passenger.

Referring to the pic below (the bow is to the to left of screen), when rowing solo, you sit on the centre seat/thwart, with the oars in the aft rowlocks to the right of the pic.

When rowing with a passenger, she/he sits on the aft seat, the rower sits well forward straddling the centreline seat/thwart running from mid-ships to the bow, and uses the set of f'wd rowlocks, which i installed today.

This arrangement allows f'wd-aft balance to be found when rowing with a passenger - a design achievement in such a wee pram. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice work GB!!! Jeff