ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah. I’m in no way sitting here thinking of how many ways I could have “done better” to live that life.

Keep the photos coming. They remind me that I need to get my crap together so I can spend time in scenery as beautiful as that.

Fair winds!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB forgot it was still winter down there for you. How warm are your temps? Glad you and the missus are back underway. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen and Tom. :D

Today we had a boisterous, at times a tad too much so, 70 nautical mile downwind sail/sled-ride frpm Pancake creek/Bustard Head northward to the pristine Keppel Islands lying of mainland town of Yeppoon, central Queensland, Australia.

Magic place. Tropical clear waters, stunning scenery. Enjoying sundowners now, celebrating the privilege of once again being in the Keppels.

Tonight we're anchored of Leeke's beach, which is located top left of the pic below. Life's good. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is just a beautiful area! No wonder you like it there.
How does Great Sandy do on those lively down hill runs?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful GB!! Enjoy!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Absolutely gorgeous GB I could stay just there for a couple of days. :D Where is that beautiful picture from? Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:45 pm Absolutely gorgeous GB I could stay just there for a couple of days. :D Where is that beautiful picture from? Tom
Search for "Great Keppel Island, The Keppels QLD" or look up 23.17° E, 150.95° S on Google Earth!

There was that one time I landed an aeroplane on that airstrip 8O .............. but I told that story last time Glossie was there! :lol:

PS: For those who haven't heard the story, it can be found on page 613 of this thread! :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Fuzz, Jeff, Tom and Lee. :D

Fuzz, the 75 year old child bride and this skipper ride the Great Sandy sleigh to 10 plus knots downhill before we reluctantly pull the pin. We now lack the agility to maintain control at higher speeds. When we were 15 years younger, we'd pull the pin under spinnaker when partially planning around 15knots. The owner-builder we purchased her from won many a race planning her in big following winds/seas at 20+ knots.

Tom, we're currently winter cruising in temps from 55F degrees early morning to 75F degrees in the middle of the day. The Great Keppel pic, and the first Clinton pic below, would have been shot from a plane.

Today there was little wind, so we motor-sailed 45 nautical miles northwest to Port Clinton in the Australian Defence Force's Shoalwater Bay Military Reserve. Because it is often closed to visiting boaties due to national and multi-national military training exercises, few boaties visit when it's open. We have it to ourselves tonight. What a mistake - its a cruising gem. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Beautiful!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree, beautiful!!! Jeff