ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the laughs gents. :D

It’s three weeks ago today since we departed Mooloolaba/Noosa to head north quickly some 500 nautical miles to the Whitsundays, arriving a week ago. Our assessment was that the South East Queensland region, with Noosa its northern most community, was teetering on the edge of an extended COVID lockdown, whereas northern Queensland regions where far less likely to be extensively locked down.

So we cut and run with the bare bones of Great Sandy’s new gravity-draining black water holding tank, head enclosure, and basin in place, but with temporary electrical wiring, and no anti- siphon venting on the head. So over the past three weeks, we’ve had to scrupulously close both of the head’s seacocks immediately after use.

Great Sandy’s previous black water holding tank was below the water line, required Y cocks on its input and output, and regularly malfunctioned. Her new black water holding tank is located above waterline, and once into open waters can self-drain into the drink by opening a single seacock. The system is simplicity itself. A budget TMC electrical macerating marine head draws water into its bowl, and when flushed macerates the waste and pumps it into the top of the black water holding tank. The bottom on the tank is plumbed to the through-hull seacock below. When the seacock is open, gravity does the discharge work. If the seacock is closed, black water waste accumulates in the holding tank either for gravity discharge later in open waters, or for pump out at an approved facility.

The first pic shows the new basin cupboard, and the new black water holding tank is location behind the new head enclosure, with it’s the lid down, is to the right. Lid’s up in the second pic. The head used to sit in the open, and it's input and output hoses looked like confused spaghetti. The child bride wanted a cleaner look, hence the new head enclosure. The top of the head enclosure’s lid is at approximately water level. The bottom of the black water holding tank located behind the basin is just a few inches higher.

Yesterday, I completed permanent electrical connections, and installed a vented anti-siphon loop to the head’s bowl input loop. The holding tank is vented to the anchor locker, and acts as the anti-syphon vent on the head’s output loop. The final look will be all white, with a few varnished timber trims. This will not be tackled until we return to Noosa.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Some good ideas there GB. So what do you know about composting heads or think of them? I ask because I am not sure I will be far enough offshore very often to pump it over the side.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB everything is looking good there. Question why vent the holding tank to the anchor locker, why not vent it over board with a clam shell vent covering it. I would not want my anchor locker smelling like shit. :lol: Maybe I missed something here. What size hose is this.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:03 pm Some good ideas there GB. So what do you know about composting heads or think of them? I ask because I am not sure I will be far enough offshore very often to pump it over the side.
Sorry Fuzz, I have no experience with or knowledge about composting marine heads, nor do I know anybody who does.
TomW1 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:19 am GB everything is looking good there. Question why vent the holding tank to the anchor locker, why not vent it over board with a clam shell vent covering it. I would not want my anchor locker smelling like shit. :lol: Maybe I missed something here. What size hose is this. Tom
The previous below waterline holding tank vented to the anchor locker without stinking it up, so I'll see how the new one goes. If it's a problem, your clamshell approach can be pressed into service. Thanks. The old vent line was 1/2" ID, the new one is 3/4" ID.

I spent yesterday doing maintenance work on Great Sandy's decks - patching up dings to keep the decks waterproof. The decks are finished in sprayed in 2 pack marine paint, so I'm brush applying the same brand's 2 pack primer then topcoat for the touch ups. I awoke last night with the runs. Lesson learnt. Treat toxic paint fumes with the utmost respect. I'm pretty subdued today.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Sounds like you got the head squared away just in time. Hope you feel better.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 am Sounds like you got the head squared away just in time. Hope you feel better.
Thanks cape man. I awoke this morning feeling fit as a fiddle.

Then a sparkling 15 nautical mile beam reach under sail from Nara Inlet to Shute Harbour busted open the day. :D

Shute Harbour Lat 20.10.00 S, Lng 148.47.25 .

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 am Sounds like you got the head squared away just in time. Hope you feel better.
Thanks cape man. I awoke this morning feeling fit as a fiddle.

Then a sparkling 15 nautical mile beam reach under sail from Nara Inlet to Shute Harbour busted open the day. :D

Shute Harbour Lat 20.10.00 S, Lng 148.47.25 .

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful place GB!!! You guys enjoy!!! Jeff

swglenn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swglenn »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:03 pm Some good ideas there GB. So what do you know about composting heads or think of them? I ask because I am not sure I will be far enough offshore very often to pump it over the side.
This article has a review of composting toilets. I have no experience with them. sailingwiththewynns.com is a vlog of a couple sailing their catamaran. They use a composting toilet and have a video of it somewhere in their history.
https://www.boatingmag.com/choosing-com ... diate=true

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

swglenn wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:35 pm
This article has a review of composting toilets. I have no experience with them. sailingwiththewynns.com is a vlog of a couple sailing their catamaran. They use a composting toilet and have a video of it somewhere in their history.
https://www.boatingmag.com/choosing-com ... diate=true
Thank you for posting the link Glenn