ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Message is
Hmmm… can't reach this page It looks like the webpage at posting.php?mode=quote&p=501057 might be having issues, or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Complete message is:

Hmmm… can't reach this pageIt looks like the webpage at ucp.php?mode=login&sid=d3457feb0aec594aaceb018ab0ea2fa1 might be having issues, or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_FAILED
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I think that changing the default browser from Google to Edge recently may have caused the problem. So I've changed back Google as the default, and will see how this post attempt fares.

For the past five years or so, while doing annual routine maintenance on Great Sandy's Volvo Penta/Perkins inboard diesel, I have found a partially damaged raw water impellor. While still intact, tears have started to develop at the base of most of the impellor blades, to the point they would likely fail within a year. For many years I've replaced impellors annually as a safety precaution, and only rarely had a bladed started to tear at its base. I fear the quality of the Johnson impellors specified by Volvo/Perkin has dropped.

The first pic shows the removed year-old impellor side on. Close inspection of the second pic shows the tear at the base of one of the blades. The third pic shows the same blade folded back, with the extent of the tear revealed.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There is something “wrong” with edge and sites that aren’t optimized specifically for it are the host layer. I want to say “aren’t hosted in windows” but that would start a fight I’m not interested in participating in. I recommend avoiding edge at all costs.

Have you inspected the housing for roughness? We had an outboard that was eating impellers. Everything looked right until someone actually ran a cloth around the housing. Luckily on that motor it was a consumable that was designed to be replaced. Replacement and not impeller damage in 400hr.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I would pull the cam out and look at it. Even if they seem good it might be worn just enough to be causing your problem.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Have you tried a different supplier for the same part? Just thinking that in our part of the world things can sit on a shelf, exposed to UV, etc. for years. Maybe the quality of the impellers isn't dropping but there is just a backlog of old and degraded ones they are slowly getting rid of.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Another thing I have done is to install a larger pump. This let it move the same amount of water but with a much lower rotation speed. After installing the bigger, slower turning pump my problems went away.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen, Fuzz and MikeyGnz for the useful advice on resolving Great Sandy's impellor problem. Your advice will be followed in the lead up to and execution of the next impellor inspection. :D

Today I installed the electronic black box (12V Dimmer High Side PWM Dimming Switch) that Jaysen recommended for reducing the amp draw and brightness of Great Sandy's anchor light. It works great - when set just a little above its lowest level of illumination it matches the illumination of neighboring boats. This is what I wanted while cutting down on amps draw down. Now I'll be able to leave Great Sandy at anchor for months at a time without needing to re-charge. Thanks Jaysen. :D .

cape man

Post by cape man »

Good job! Forgive me, but the light is on another battery now as well?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:02 am Good job! Forgive me, but the light is on another battery now as well?
Light is still on house battery bank.