ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Fuzz. :D

Glorious 25 nautical mile shy-run sail from Thomas Island to Brampton Island (Lat 20.49.30 S, Lng 149.16.81 E) today. A beautiful National Park tropical island with scenic hiking trails.

Now a deserted island, it used to have a thriving resort and airport on a small corner of it, which tropical vegetation regrowth is now reclaiming. We have the anchorage to ourselves. :D

Barra Man used to fly in and play here. Hopefully he'll share a story or two.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful GB!!! You guys enjoy!!! Jeff

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Barra Man used to fly in and play here. Hopefully he'll share a story or two.
Indeed! On April 17, 1980 I flew into Brampton for a 'lost long-weekend' with the love of my life! :D Things got off to a bumpy start, however. 8O

Those tropical island resorts are notorious for having turbulence adjacent to the thresholds of their airstrips, from hot air coming off the sand. As we came in to land the aeroplane "fell out of the sky", at least from my wife's perspective, receiving a severe bump as we flew through the turbulence. I was anticipating it and wasn't concerned - she, on the other hand, got a fright that she still brings up from time-to-time.

We did, however, have a very pleasant few days of R&R before flying out into western Queensland for a week or so of hard work testing cattle under the National Brucellosis and Tuberculosis Eradication Campaign (BTEC).

Tropical island resorts seem to be a thing of the past in this part of the world. :doh: Of the 8 north Qld resorts that I have visited in the last 50 yrs, only 2 remain open.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Great story thanks Barra Man. :D

Yesterday at first sparrow's, given weather forecasts, we decided to head into Mackay Outer Harbour marina for a 24 hour haul-out to replace Great Sandy's failing depth transducer, and prop shaft seal. Mission accomplished within 24 hours. :D

We spent the rest of today re-provisioning food, water and fuel, and doing nearly two months of laundry at the marina's Laundromat.

Then feeling rather pleased with ourselves, we went for sundowners and slap-up meal at the local yacht club.

We're ready to push offshore again first sparrow's fart tomorrow morning, almost inevitable hangover permitting. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Drinks and a good meal always taste better after a solid day like that. l’m trying to picture what 2 months of laundry looks like 😆

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Agreed jonnymac. We're a long way offshore with only text comms, will post update when closer in and have internet again.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

BarraMan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm
Tropical island resorts seem to be a thing of the past in this part of the world. :doh: Of the 8 north Qld resorts that I have visited in the last 50 yrs, only 2 remain open.
I am shocked by this. I would have thought if there were 8 before there would be 80 now :doh:
Any way you cut it there area seems to fit resorts.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:55 pm
BarraMan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm
I am shocked by this. I would have thought if there were 8 before there would be 80 now :doh:
Any way you cut it there area seems to fit resorts.
Yes, so am I. We have enjoyed all that we have visited over the years. There may be a bit of a resurgence happening. Gena Rhinehardt, Australia's richest woman is reported to be negotiating to buy the lease on the Great Keppel Island resort that we talked about earlier in Glossie's current adventure - with big plans for redevelopment. Several others are reported to be changing hands - with plans to reopen.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Still passaging and overnighting in remote area without reliable comms. Will post more asap. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

After departing Mackay, we sailed 60 nautical miles east to the Percy Islands, where we spent a couple of idyllic days at Whites Bay (first pic) swimming, snorkelling, beachcombing and reading. Lat 21.40.37 S, Lng 150.17.43 E. No reliable internet at Whites.

With a strong SE gale forecast for the following evening, the next morning we sailed 45 nautical miles south-west to Island Head Creek, and motored 4 nautical miles to its headwaters, which provided us with perfect protection but no reliable internet. Crocodile habitat, so no swimming. Lat 22.25.90 E, Lng 150.38.90 E.

Today the worst of the storm has passed, and we’ve motored back down the creek to internet coverage. Lat 22.21.71 S, Lng 150.38.91 E.

Really happy with new depth transducer and prop shaft dripless seal. :D