ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Ooops, double post. Apologies.
Last edited by glossieblack on Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:17 pm How do know when to 'zig' and when to 'zag'? :doh: Do you just have to read the bar on the day? :?:
Crossing the Wide Bay Bar is challenging for a number of reasons: just short of 4 nautical miles, it’s a long one; usually there are treacherous breaking seas on one side or the other, sometimes both; and the position of the sand shoals and hence breakers are constantly changing.

Fortunately the local Volunteer Marine Rescue regularly update suggested way points (usually four), which Great Sandy strictly adheres to. There is no way I have the experience to read conditions and chose a course by eye in real time.

Some experienced local skippers do so, taking what are colloquially known as ‘fisherman’s shortcuts’. Some of them loose their boat but survive, some aren’t so lucky.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Departed the Great Sandy Straits this morning and sailed and motor sailed some 55 nautical miles north to the sugar loading terminal of Port Bundaberg. Hardly our normally preferred wilderness anchorage, but a sheltered anchorage promising a good night's sleep. :wink:

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Wow, I never knew there was such a place!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Great Sandy departed Port Bundaberg first sparrows this morning and sailed and motor sailed a little over 50 nautical miles northward along the coast to Pancake Creek (pic below), sheltered by Bustard Head and its lighthouse. Pancake Creek is as wilderness as Port Bundaberg is agricultural industrial.

Tomorrow we're heading offshore to spend a few days reef hopping at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful GB!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

=P~

GB, I may need to stop reading your thread. Mrs is getting tired of me harassing the vetrenarians about when I can start sailing!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I think he works for the Australia ministry of tourism myself. :wink:

I do notice there sure seems to be a lot of bars in the places you sail. Is that the norm for your coasts?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:38 am I do notice there sure seems to be a lot of bars in the places you sail. Is that the norm for your coasts?
I was all, "I don't see any alchohol serving establishments in these pics..."

I need a drink. Or maybe I need fewer drinks? Either way I need something!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB beautiful area, enjoy your trip up the Great Barrier Reef. Tip a glass of wine back for me with young bride. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978