ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Jeff asked what many of us are thinking. Hope all is well with our Aussie tour guide.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I'll see what I can find out!
I'm reluctant to pry, but I've sent Michael an SMS and if I don't hear from him by tomorrow - I'll ring him.
Cheers
Lee

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you Lee!!! Jeff

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:52 am I'll see what I can find out!
I'm reluctant to pry, but I've sent Michael an SMS and if I don't hear from him by tomorrow - I'll ring him.
Cheers
Lee
I get this, just let him know we are thinking of him hope he is well.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I am pleased to be able to report that Glossie and his 'Child bride' are both alive and well ! :D

To quote him, "All good! I'm in serious hermit holiday mode"! :lol:

No doubt he is deeply moved by your collective concern! 8O

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Great news! Thank you for this Lee.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Apologies gents for going off the air for the last little while. I’ve been grieving the failure of one of my fav pieces of kit on Great Sandy, and have retreated into deep holiday hermit mode accordingly.

Many thanks for your kind queries re my wellbeing given my uncharacteristic silence. :D

Great Sandy's self-pitching Bruntons Autoprop threw one of its blades; the local coastguard towed us back to Tin Can Bay Marina; we ordered a new 3 blade fixed propeller which had to be cast up and machined; and finally it was installed a couple of days ago.

The fist pic shows Great Sandy's Bruntons Autoprop before it threw a blade. Until then, each of the 3 blades rotated independently around a stub axle which is at right angles to the propeller shaft.

The second pic shows Great Sandy's Autoprop after it had thrown a blade. The stub axle ariund which a blade used to pivot is perpendicular.

The third and fourth pics show the Great Sandy's new fixed 3 blade 16 x 11 RH prop.

I've started what I hope will be a cordial process with Bruntons whereby I receive fairly discounted labour and replacement parts to restore the Autoprop.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That’s terrible. I’ve never heard of that type of failure with the feathering props. Are there any clues as to why it failed?

Will you and Mrs be getting back for more cruising this year?

I fully approve of holiday hermitage. My wife refers to me as “the grinch” in public. These days is less hatred of the holidays and more lack of interest in the stupidity of my fellow man. I actually volunteered to do the “illuminated boat parade” this year but she saw through the excuses to buy a new motor as the current one is still less than reliable. I would say that proves less grinch and more normal holiday behavior.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sorry about the prop but needless to say we are all glad to hear from you.
Do I see a set of line cutters in front of the prop? If so what brand and how do you like them?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Oh GB, I feel your pain, so sorry to hear about your prop. I hope this will not stop the remaing part of your cruising schedule. You still have some time left in December, enjoy your selves.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978