ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee and Tom. :D

We are currently provisioning at Mooloolaba Marina. We'll be staying here until early next week, as gale force winds and heavy seas are forecast for the second half of this week. Then we'll head north to Great Barrier Reef waters for three to four months before deciding to head south all the way to Tasmania and the Australian Wooden Boat Festival, or to return to Noosa.

Feather Pram has been getting plenty of compliments from the marina community. :D

Last edited by glossieblack on Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Then we'll head north to Great Barrier Reef waters for three to four months before deciding to head south all the way to Tasmania and the Australian Wooden Boat Festival.
Wow, that is epic Michael! 8O

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Your pram looks sexy. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The Feather Pram looks beautiful sitting on Great Sandy :D Red skies at night on your trip north. :D By the way did you ever name the Feather Pram?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

More oil!

Enjoy every day!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Pram looks great!!! Safe travel!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee, Richard, Tom, Craig, and Jeff.

And Tom we've named my build of Iain Oughtred's Feather Pram design Feather Pram. :wink:

Great Sandy with Feather Pram is still in Mooloolaba Marina, now fully provisioned and ready to cruise north once outside seas which are currently running at 12' and building to a predicted 18' in coming days , abate to around 6'.
Last edited by glossieblack on Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So I take it you don't think 18 foot seas would be a lot of fun :help:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Still wild seas outside Mooloolaba. Forecasts indicate we may be able to safely and comfortably depart in 3 days to head northward towards tropical Great Barrier Reef waters. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I'm eating deeper into Great Sandy's routine maintenance 'to do' list. I had a pleasant win today when I applied some of the Jaysen recommended dielectric grease to the electrical connections of the bow mounted port and starboard navigation lights.

They cop saltwater spray in building passaging conditions, and saltwater drenching in heavier seas. They shone noticeably brighter when I applied the dielectric grease, and continue to do so. Thanks for the tip Jaysen :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Glad to here that helped!

The biggest win that I feel the grease brings is corrosion resistance. Just like with antilock greases for bolts, dialectic grease keeps connections from corroding together and protects the metal around the connectors from exposure to corrosion causing things (like salt water). I have a tube of it on every boat ant in each car.

Because it is designed to be conducive you need to be careful when using on multi pin connectors. Bad things can happen if you aren’t.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.