ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

We have those, tigers and black tips in my “swimming holes” here. I try to avoid hooking anything I can’t muscle in under 10sec. I also avoid multiple catches in a location.

Considering that I’m fishing for freezer and that we have a highly pressured area (slot limits help but mean the limited fishery gets wiped out quickly), losing a months food to those critters is frustrating. I don’t hate them for it, but I wish they would take the whole thing.

I do tend to use the remnants for crab bait. Works quite well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

BarraMan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 am We have an increasing population of inshore bull sharks. I don’t know why - there are a number of theories.
20 yrs ago we didn’t see them in the Hinchinbrook Channel, but they are there now. It’s commonplace to lose hooked fish to them - so much so that people have stopped targeting big barra because they are the breeding females. Most barra fishers release barra over 80 cm (30 something inches), and its heartbreaking to boat the front half only of a metre plus (>40") barra!

Bull sharks are nuts! Crazy killing machines!

Most of the fatal shark attacks in CID Harbour are believed to have been bull sharks.
Same here in NZ, especially bronze whalers, blue sharks, threshers and the odd great white taking the back halves of kingfish. We call it paying the taxman.

We don't have as many shark attacks though, maybe because colder and not as many people in water.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Started of the day real slow, then eased back.

Eight nautical mile beam-reach under genoa from Cid Harbour to Hook Island's Nara Inlet.

Dropped the pick in Refuge Cove (Lat 20.08.65 S, Lng 148.54.21 E). Refuge Cove is centre-right in the pic.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful GB!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Great safe harbor GB. Beautiful place.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Tom. :D

We're hunkered down in Hook Island's Refuge Cove for the next couple of days awaiting more favourable sailing weather.

Today I put in a full day working towards completion of the plumbing and electrical wiring on Great Sandy's new head and black-water holding tank setup.

Should be completed tomorrow, sans cosmetic painting. Will post pics. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

glossieblack wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:46 am Thanks Jeff and Tom. :D

We're hunkered down in Hook Island's Refuge Cove for the next couple of days awaiting more favourable sailing weather.

Today I put in a full day working towards completion of the plumbing and electrical wiring on Great Sandy's new head and black-water holding tank setup.

Should be completed tomorrow, sans cosmetic painting. Will post pics. :D
What you been using for a head since you started on your on your adventure? A bucket :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

What you been using for a head since you started on your on your adventure? A bucket :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The bow sprit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:48 pm
This caused some visions to go through my head that are "R" rated. Now I can not get rid of them :help:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:05 am
BarraMan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:48 pm
This caused some visions to go through my head that are "R" rated. Now I can not get rid of them :help:
Hahaha, yeah me to! :lol: :lol: :lol: Some things just can't be unseen! :help: