ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks gents, and HAPPY 71ST BIRTHDAY TOM! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:16 am Thanks gents, and HAPPY 71ST BIRTHDAY TOM! :D
Thanks GB. Your a month early but since I am going into back surgery Tuesday it means a lot. You never know what can happen, last time I had I had a reaction to the drugs they used to put me under with, :help: Thanks for keeping us up to date on your wonderful cruise and holiday, I am really enjoying it. I have been enjoying a lot of wine to help with the pain in my back. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Yesterday we sailed when we could and motored when the wind died 35 nautical miles northwards from Yorkeys Knob to Low Islands, Far North Queensland.

Low Islands consists of two coral quays. There is an 1880s light house on the smaller one.

The Great Barrier Reef gets progressively closer to the Austtalian mainalnd northwards from here.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice! How far up are you going? We are planning to be home October 5. Will I beat you home?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 am Nice! How far up are you going? We are planning to be home October 5. Will I beat you home?
As far north as Lizard Island. What a wonderful adventure you're having, and yes, you'll beat us home. :D

Today we sailed norhwards some 40 nautical miles from Low Islands to Hope Island.

Started with one reef in the main with the wind deep behind us, added the inner headsail as the wind went to the aft quarter, and relaxed and enjoyed the unfolding spectacle of rain forest plunging into sea. :D

Last edited by glossieblack on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks great GB!!! Jeff

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Everything looks beautiful; the color of the water, the green on the islands, Great Sandy. I have a question - what happened to the lil Pram. Last I can see in text is you rowed it back from GS and re-oiled it. I see a plastic imitator in it's place now.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Where are you?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:09 am Where are you?
Like wise

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB have not heard from since Oct. now Dec. what you been up to? :D Hope all is well! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978