ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Yes Lee that was a huge help! Most times I have to search for the spot. And if the names do not match Google Earth I really have to hunt around. But I sure enjoy seeing the places and following along with the adventure :D

I do have a question, are the prevailing winds pretty consistent? I ask because it looks like if the wind backs some of those places could get pretty sporty.

You guys are having warm weather sailing there and I woke up to falling snow this morning :cry:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Goldsmith Island
Off Mackay

Brampton Is in the 2nd pic also has an airstrip. We flew in there many years ago for a couple of days R&R - but that another story! :lol:
Fuzz, I am sure Michael will answer your wind question better than I can, but from my perspective the prevailing wind is SE.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:29 am are the prevailing winds pretty consistent? I ask because it looks like if the wind backs some of those places could get pretty sporty.
Along the section of the Queensland coastline we are currently cruising, the wind usually blows from the SE from Feb/March to Aug/Sept, and you can choose time tested SE anchorages with confidence. Very rarely will a northerly arriving in the middle of the night put you on a lee shore. Around this time of year, and through to Feb/March, northerlies become more frequent, often dominant, and you take a risk overnighting in the SE anchorages. However going into northerly anchorages is a calculated gamble, because SE changes have a nasty habit of putting you on a lee shore without warning. You don't sleep as securely in a northern anchorage as a southern one, and you should always have a middle-of-the-night escape route to a safer SE anchorage prepared and have fewer glasses of red before you turn in. :wink:

Today its been blowing 15 too 25 knots from the south east, so had a boisterous 2 hour NE sleigh-ride sail to Shaw Island's Burning Point anchorage, a wonderfully secure and scenic SE anchorage. Over 20 boats sheltering here. Lat 20.30.00 S, Lng 129.03.21 E.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Lovely 20 nautical mile beam reach sail today from last night's Burning Point anchorage to tonight's Whitsunday Island's Cid Harbour anchorage. Lat 20.15.39 S, Lng 148.56.61 E.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Now that is nice, but ......................... don't go for a swim! :help:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:32 am Now that is nice, but ......................... don't go for a swim! :help:
Ha. For our international colleagues, Cid Harbour is nowhere near a safe place to swim, because for deadly sharks, it's an attractive place to cruise and feed too.

Over the recent decade, this reality has been swamped by tourism-glam do-it-all-in-paradise promo.

End result, people being eaten alive.

Cid Harbour is still a stunning and secure anchorage, so long as Lee suggests, you can resist going for a swim. :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

What I’m hearing is that I should fish off the boat, clean my catch in the boat, then jump in and splash around a lot.

Did I get that right?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:45 am What I’m hearing is that I should fish off the boat, clean my catch in the boat, then jump in and splash around a lot. Did I get that right?
Novel hypothesis. Test it, and hopefully the liberated bride will send us the findings. :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

The findings of the hypothesis, or the pieces of Jaysen that aren't swallowed?

Good looking Anchorage other than the toothy neighbors.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

We have an increasing population of inshore bull sharks. I don’t know why - there are a number of theories.
20 yrs ago we didn’t see them in the Hinchinbrook Channel, but they are there now. It’s commonplace to lose hooked fish to them - so much so that people have stopped targeting big barra because they are the breeding females. Most barra fishers release barra over 80 cm (30 something inches), and its heartbreaking to boat the front half only of a metre plus (>40") barra!

Bull sharks are nuts! Crazy killing machines!

Most of the fatal shark attacks in CID Harbour are believed to have been bull sharks.