ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

We've been making haste slowly in Mooloolaba Marina (pic below), provisioning and doing last minute tweaks to Great Sandy, awaiting an appropriate tide, wind and sea-state window to outward-cross the Mooloolaba bar and passage the approximately 55 nautical miles north to inward-cross the challenging Wide Bar bar. Conditions these past few days have been foul.

Tomorrow is looking promising to escape Mooloolaba and passage northwards. Fingers crossed, as we're ready to go :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Safe travel GB!!! And have fun!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Same here GB, safe sailing!!! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Tom. :D

This morning, blessed with clear blue sunny winter skies, mild aft winds and following seas, we departed Mooloolaba Harbour (20 nautical miles south of Noosa) and set sail for the Wide Bay Bar, some 55 nautical miles north of Mooloolaba. In light winds, the morning and early afternoon sailing was superb.

Then a choice had to be made: either deploy the iron sail to reach and cross the Wide Bay bar in the safety of daylight, or continue under sail alone and overnight in the Double Island Point Lagoon Anchorage, some 15 nautical miles short of the Wide Bay Bar.

We chose to savour the delights if Double Island Pont Lagoon, one of our favourite local anchorages. :D

A pic of Double Island Point headland appears in the top left corner of this and all my posts.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful!!!! Enjoy, Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah. I’m not jealous. That green tinge is just fluorescent lighting.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep, I am jealous beautiful site. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Tough spot to drop the hook but I am sure you guys will make the best of it.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff, Jaysen, Tom, and Fuzz. :D

Our local Double Island Point Lagoon Anchorage comes and goes with prevailing weather conditions. When it's not a lagoon protected by a temporary sand spit, it's a Double Island Point open ocean roadstead anchorage, and while safe in southerly conditions, it's an anchorage from hell.

This morning we departed DIP Lagoon Anchorage, and motor sailed the 12 nautical miles north to commence the inward crossing of the Wide Bay Bar, one of the most challenging on the east coast of Australia. It takes over half an hour and four dog-legs to cross, and invariably induces violent rolling. This morning was no different.

Feather Pram's spectra cord and tensioning-turnbuckle deck lashings to Great Sandy's foredeck were designed for Wide Bay bar conditions, and came through with flying colours.:D

The first and third pics show the aft and f'wd lashings, the second the starboard lashing. The port lashing is the same.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

This morning we departed DIP Lagoon Anchorage, and motor sailed the 12 nautical miles north to commence the inward crossing of the Wide Bay Bar, one of the most challenging on the east coast of Australia. It takes over half an hour and four dog-legs to cross, and invariably induces violent rolling. This morning was no different.
I luv what you do Michael! :D I don't do bars - way above my pay grade. :help:

On Google Earth, the Wide Bay Bar looks fairly straight forward.

How do know when to 'zig' and when to 'zag'? :doh: Do you just have to read the bar on the day? :?: