Super Light SC16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Super Light SC16

Post by cape man »

$189 worth of parts coming from San Francisco. Not an original rebuild but close... Loving this project!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Almost everything is ready to put it back together...but...I broke one of the rings on the piston as I tried to put it back in the cylinder...
Should be here tomorrow.
20210221_092040.jpg
Painted most of the parts with automotive, high temp primer and paint. Hoping for pics of it running by this weekend.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looking forward to it Cape Man!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Me too...

cape man

Post by cape man »

Well I'm maybe screwed... Put everything back together and filled the lower unit oil and added gas. No parts left on the table! On the third pull it tried to pop and there was a noticeable metallic "whack"! The key that keeps the fly wheel in place on the drive shaft broke!!! The fly wheel has a raised hump that opens and closes the points, so the timing is way off now. The fly wheel is now seized to the shaft, and there's no way to get a gear puller to grab it in three places. I'm going to try making a cable contraption that will thread through the upper openings on the fly wheel and use that to allow me to grab it with the gear puller, but it is seized so hard I fear I'm just going to break the fly wheel. The wife told me she thought it would make a nice piece of wall art, which while true did not relieve my disappointment!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Have you considered the dry ice and dead-blow hammer method? That worked for stuck TRE and kingpins that were NOT moving in the past. I can reach out for a few more ideas from the gear heads if you'd like.

While wall art is an admirable death for those motors, it is better to have them showing the kids that new tech isn't really 'better' than the old.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'm open to any ideas, and dry ice is a good one. I've already buggered the threads on the top of the shaft trying the hammer technique...something I can fix, but also pissed me off when it happened. Let me try the cable and gear puller first.

I do eventually give up sometimes, but only after getting beaten badly. I have learned to never start a fight I don't think I have a chance of winning...

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:15 am I have learned to never start a fight I don't think I have a chance of winning...
I guess that's what I'm doing wrong!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 am Well I'm maybe screwed... Put everything back together and filled the lower unit oil and added gas. No parts left on the table! On the third pull it tried to pop and there was a noticeable metallic "whack"! The key that keeps the fly wheel in place on the drive shaft broke!!! The fly wheel has a raised hump that opens and closes the points, so the timing is way off now. The fly wheel is now seized to the shaft, and there's no way to get a gear puller to grab it in three places. I'm going to try making a cable contraption that will thread through the upper openings on the fly wheel and use that to allow me to grab it with the gear puller, but it is seized so hard I fear I'm just going to break the fly wheel. The wife told me she thought it would make a nice piece of wall art, which while true did not relieve my disappointment!
Ugh!

In NE, work on cars inevitably involves removing siezed nuts/bolts/parts due to rust. I removed the valve covers from my subaru with a dremel once.

It may be extreme, but can you drill/tap the fly wheel top to make some type of puller for it?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'll take some pics of the cable contraption I made at work today.