Super Light SC16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Super Light SC16

Post by cape man »

Progress...kind of.

The canoe refurb is done. This is a boat a friend made and I bought from him 25 years ago. Paid $500. After he went through all his receipts for materials, he discovered he made a whopping $13 in labor! :help: :lol: :lol: :lol: So I'm giving it back to him the next time he's down here or I'm up in Tallahassee. Told him I'm looking at this as a lease which cost me $20/year :lol: :lol: :lol: I have one just like it I built, another 16 foot Mohawk canoe, and soon a SC16. Unlike guns, a man can only own so many boats...

Taped and epoxied both stems, re-caned the seats, and 4 coats of Hellsman inside and out. Looks as good or better than when he sold it to me. Clears out the space under the back of the house where I plan to build the SC16.

Also put 48 bottles of BBB in the cupboard yesterday. Have a trip to Cayman later this week, so April 30 is looking good for popping a cap on a bottle of beer and start cutting some wood.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Have you got enough BBB in the next batch, to have me swing by and pick up a bottle? How far are you from Bradenton? :) My epoxy to BBB ratio is WAY off!
I'm about an hour from Bradenton depending on where in Bradenton. Won't be ready till the 30th, and we may not have the labels printed by then, but always willing to share a beer with a fellow boat builder. Send me an email at cawatson at ufl dot edu.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

email sent. :)

cape man

Post by cape man »

As promised...it begins! My son and I cut all the frames, transom, bow mold, sides and bottom out today.

No labels yet, but the BBB is a very fine Sierra Nevada IPA clone... :help: :help:

Big day tomorrow dealing with elderly parents on the other coast of Florida, but hoping to start piecing this baby together this coming week. Can't say the woman is ecstatic, as the Kitchen was her next project...

cape man

Post by cape man »

Jacques,

The plans recommend off-setting the edge of the bow mold by the thickness of the material to assure a the side panels join together properly. Could I do the same thing by creating an angled edge to the center line, and if so, what would the angle be?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, you can but I prefer to cut the mold a little to small and let the plywood panels take their shape naturally.
I use a bow mold to pull the tip of the bow back, to avoid the droopy bow shape.
If you want to bevel, it, the angle between side panels is 44 degrees, 22 each side.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks Jacques. I have several days of gluing the panels together and setting up a strong back to ponder, and I think I'll put it in temporarily as is to see better exactly what you are describing.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Looking good Captain Ahab 8) How many months to the meet at Homosassa or the annual pilgrimage to Cape Sable???
I'm following along, if you need any help let me know...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

I may need some help during the pondering and BBB consumption. Should have it at Homassassa. Once I get going I can't see this one taking that long. No electrical, no controls, no baitwell, no butcher block gunwales, and a definite work finish. This one is for a single purpose. 2 people having a nice easy day in a small open boat with some portable gear, going nowhere fast.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Side panels and bottom taped together on one side.