Skoota 30

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Skoota 30

Post by fallguy1000 »

I posted and sent an email, but perhaps the cyber abyss is simply too massive.

Would bateau be able to do any of the work for a skoota 30? i.e. Would you be able to cnc pattern cut the bulkheads? I am a couple years away from the build, but I think it might be wise to get this part done to make sure I am heading in the right direction. I have not purchased plans, but I am going to be soon. Thanks for any reply.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skoota 30

Post by jacquesmm »

I replied by email but I prefer to discuss this here.
Yes, we can supply kits for all the Woods designs.

At minimum, we can always cut a kit for all the frames, transom and molds if there are molds.
Richard always shows those parts to set up the jig. We will cut the notches for chine logs, stringers and keel son on demand. You have to look at the plans to understand that. Often, Richard uses fiberglass chines but wood battens are sometimes an option.
That would be the basic kit, the type that allows you to set up a jig very quickly. All frames/molds are marked with centerline and baseline.

Besides that, we can include all the panels for the hull: save on shipping and plywood. Our plywood is always about $ 10.00 a sheet less than our competitors. We can not cut the hull panels because Richard does not show the dimensions except for some of his small beach cats. His reason is that long panels are difficult to handle and he prefers to put one sheet at a time on the jig.

In some cases, we can cut other parts of the boat. Often, Richard shows dimensions for the cabin, roof, cockpit parts etc.
Wherever the plans show parts with dimensions, we can cut them but many builders like to customize the accommodations, you decide.

For each boat, we can also put together an epoxy fiberglass kit. Richard uses our MarinEpoxy for his prototypes.
For the designs that show a foam sandwich version, we can also supply a kit for all hull supplies: foam, resin and glass.
We have done that for big cats like some Farrier designs and we shipped resin by the drum at a serious discount.
For larger boats, until you buy the plans, I prefer to give a very rough cost estimate. Once you are committed by purchasing the plans, we'll prepare a final cost.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I will only want parts for the hulls. The rest is going to be customized. I am going to make a trailerable version and later upgrade the boat to the right width. I will be in touch after my building is closed in for the work. Thank you.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

After much discussion with Richard Woods, I am planning on getting hulls built by Ian Critchmoor for a demountable Skoota 32.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just wanted to update my forum post. I am planning now to build the Skoota 32 Demountable version and plan to pay for consultation with Ian Critchmoor. The shipping alone was going to be $6,500 to get the boat from England to the middle US where I live. Ship, trains, freight haulers, transfers, and another freight haul (ocean crate wouldn't deliver to my house even). I have great respect for Ian after some exchanges and would encourage anyone looking for a builder in Western Europe or even the eastern US to give him a call.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am confused, do you plan to have the hulls built in Europe and shipped to the US?
Or if it is a consultation, what is it about?
Richard's plans are very complete.

BTW, I understand that you plan to build in foam sandwich. Did you read this:
http://bateau2.com/howto/foam1.php

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

No. I will build the hulls in the US. I have some concerns over bulkhead placements and beam and socket construction so that is why I planned for consult.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Trust Richard for all that, he knows what he is doing.

For building techniques, you should 1st follow the plans and second, ask advice from your supplier. If we supply the materials, we will help you.