FS14 build on Cape Cod

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 build on Cape Cod

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:43 pm 20.5 is my math

0770B910-855B-4CC5-A5E1-55A89C7BB7D8.png
I didn't check your math but that looks about right. In simple terms, for simple people, like myself:

Cut a transom at 20.5 inches, stand it on the ground at 13.5 degree angle and measure the vertical distance from the top of the transom to the ground. Should be(according to your math) 20 inches, which looks about right. So, if your motor measures 20 inches from the bottom of the vent plate to the top of the inside of the bracket, and you want a perfect fit, cut the transom to 20.5, not 20. If you cut it to 20, you'll either have an extra 1/2" of lower unit in the water, or will need to mount it 1/2" up the transom.

That's the way I see it. Since my motor is 22.5+ and my transom is 20", which is 19.58 of vertical height at 13.5 degrees, it's a much bigger issue, beyond what can be adjusted and still use the clamps, which I was. I'm remounting with bolts which will work but there is a lotof motor above the top of the transom. So mine is an extreme case, and it looks like the same is true here, though it's unclear why at this moment.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The easiest way to tell the shaft length is to measure from where the motor rests on the boat and clamps to the boat down to the ventilating plate just above the prop. Then to see how it fits your boat measure straight down from the top of the transom to the bottom of it. Do not measure along the angle. You can tape a light weight board to the bottom of the boat that extends out beyond the back so that you have something straight down to.

If the two don't match you can cut down the transom or build it up. Building it up is more difficult.

Well good luck. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

20,568 for 13.5 degrees
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Regardless of the length of the shaft the way it is mounted to the transom is the issue and it needs to be repaired. If the height of the motor needs to be where it is at, then increase the height of the transom. The board sandwiched in the metal plates is the height the transom needs to be, but a solid transom to that height.
jacquesmm wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:16 pm The ideal way to raise that transom would be to use an extension that goes just over the seat, from one side to the other. Epoxy glue that to the original transom, glass over and it will be stronger than what you show in the pics.
It is not much more work than to rebuild what I see in the pics.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Nautilus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nautilus »

The transom of my boat is one solid piece of wood, with a second piece glued on the top inside per the plans. It is glassed entirely on the outside, and about halfway up the inside of the hull. Here is a pic without the deck:
transom3s.jpg
The deck is taped to the transom on the top:
transom1s.jpg
In the photo above there is an extra brace that is not part of the plans - I added that because I thought the deck was too flexible otherwise.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

Nautilus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nautilus »

jacquesmm wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:16 pm I have a Suzuki 20 HP on my standard GF16. I am not home right now and can not measure but I am certain that it is not 22.5".
I'll get home next week and will measure but what I see in the picture is an addition to the transom, a piece of ply with glass extending the transom. I assume that was to fit a bracket or raise the transom for a long shaft. That creates an hinge. You must have done a good fiberglass job, under normal use, it should work but when you ran aground, it split at the top.
From the pictures, it looks like the original transom and glass is intact. The ideal way to raise that transom would be to use and extension that goes just over the seat, from one side to the other. Epoxy glue that to the original transom, glass over and it will be stronger than what you show in the pics.
It is not much more work than to rebuild what I see in the pics.
The only modification I made to the stern is to add the the bolt-on motor bracket - two metal plates sandwiching three pieces of ply glued together (width of transom) - after the boat as designed was complete. The transom itself is exactly what came in the kit. (Unless I followed the plans incorrectly!)

Sorry if I'm being dense here, but can you explain how to add an extension? It sounds like I would need to build an extension by glueing plywood together to match the line of the current transom, glue that to the top of the transom, then glue a piece of ply that covers both the extension and existing transom above the deck, and then glass it on both sides to the transom..?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Nautilus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:47 pm The only modification I made to the stern is to add the the bolt-on motor bracket
Mostly for my own curiosity, I'm quite interested to know the measurement of your transom and the measurement of your motor from the bottom of vent plate to the upper inside edge of the bracket.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:01 pm
Nautilus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:47 pm The only modification I made to the stern is to add the the bolt-on motor bracket
Mostly for my own curiosity, I'm quite interested to know the measurement of your transom and the measurement of your motor from the bottom of vent plate to the upper inside edge of the bracket.
Jeff good points I asked him to make the measurements up above. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Nautilus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nautilus »

I am a she :-)

My motor measures 22 in vertically from the bottom of the bracket to the cavitation plate.

My transom is 19-7/8 in measured along the transom and ~19-1/4 in measured vertically.

My Suzuki manual specifies the anti-cavitation plate should be located 0 to 1 in. below the bottom of the boat, which is what led me to adding the bracket.