Skoota 24 - higher roof

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skoota 24 - higher roof

Post by jacquesmm »

Posted from email:
Taking into consideration Wide Beam.Could standing headroom be increased to 6ft in both cabins without raising hatches.
Richard is sailing, I"ll give my opinion.
There isn't much sole to walk on in the Skoota 24. The aft cabin is just a bed, there is no sole, you couldn't stand anywhere. Forward, there is a small sole but when open, the table takes most of the space. That sole, with no table is 2' wide by 2-1/2' long, not exactly a dance floor. :)
There is no room to walk around, cooking and eating is done sitting.
As designed, the height in the middle. hatch closed, is 143 cm (56"), enough to move around to go and sit on the bunks. But there is a large hatch all over the sole, you can stand when it is open.
It is a small boat and a roof raised to 6' (30" extra) would be ugly. It would also increase windage, making the boat difficult to maneuver in strong winds.
There can be standing headroom in the cockpit under a bimini top or even a full canvas top.
If you want standing headroom over that small sole, juts under the hatch, you could have a dodger.
Bimini top and dodger would look nice and in bad weather, can be folded to reduce windage.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Skoota 24 - higher roof

Post by Woods Designs »

Jacques gave a good reply, as I expected. If you want some standing headroom space I also suggest the best option is to have a cockpit tent or side screens to the bimini. That is what we did when cruising our Skoota 20 in British Columbia. Scroll down this page for photo

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/ ... ahir-janus

The forward cabin on the Skoota 24 is similar to a Skoota 20 and also to the 22ft Wizard sailing catamaran that I drew about 25 years ago and that we raced and cruised in the UK, France and Holland. We trailed the boat to Holland but sailed across the English Channel to France (about 120 miles non stop each way). It was a very practical, comfortable layout for a small boat

Richard Woods