Wizard CNC Kit

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Wizard CNC Kit

Post by tcason »

The posted videos are very inspiring - boat looks like it sails like a dream!

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

It does indeed, or at least ours did. We came 4th in the European multihull championships in ours, despite being the shortest boat, the others were 26ft long. In one race we went round the windward mark just behind Reg White who was sailing an open deck 26ft carbon rigged catamaran. He told us "slow down" which we took as a compliment. Reg won an Olympic gold medal, several Little Americas Cups and many world championships.

As I said when I introduced the Wizard design. "22ft long, sleeps 5 in three cabins, standing headroom, easily trailed, 15 knots under sail". Time has proved me right

Richard Woods

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OK, it's done. I created the 3D model and extracted panels.
It's a lot of plywood!
Just for the two hulls, we need 8 sheets plus the deck, plus the bulkheads, plus the beams, appendages etc.
We can supply the hull panels with puzzle joints and holes pre-drilled for stitches (easy alignment).
Total cost for the plywood kit US shipping included will be around $ 4,350.00.
Note that the cutting fee is less than $ 1,000.00, the cost is all in the plywood.

I am exchanging emails with Richard to discuss details for the stitch and glue version and fine tune that quote later.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

htom
New Poster
New Poster

Post by htom »

A stitch and glue version would be great!
I think this will lower build time even more.

I have some thoughts around the trailer:
The CNC kit allows the dimensions of each boat built to have the same dimensions.
Is it possible to get enough detailed specifications to have the trailer built and be 100% sure it will work the 1st time?

Or even better, is it possible to identify a trailer builder that will build to Richards specifications. This way a trailer can be ordered and will be up to Richard's standards.

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

I do supply a basic trailer drawing for the Wizard. (Jacques has a copy) However some details will vary according to local laws so it can only be used as a guide. Usually a standard base works and all you need is add the gantry supports. So any fabricator can make those and fit them to your trailer base. That is what I have done myself.

The problem with Jacques specifying a Florida based manufacturer is obviously the shipping cost if you live outside his area.

Richard Woods