Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14

Post by Dougster »

Looks perfect to me. My pics to come will bring us all back to reality :roll:

Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm working through a sore throat bug, probably caught on the plain home, but had energy for the outside rubrails.

The sole is still just dry fit as it needs more foam. I didn't use dowels or screws on the rails. They bend on easily enough so I just slathered goo on and used all my clamps. Tomorrow I'll fiddle with the inside rail with offsets idea to see how it looks.

I hadn't looked forward to returning to the South Texas heat, but I got here and we are in a cool wave. Low 80's and lots of thunderstorms. My rain gauge showed 4.6" accumulation. That's a big deal for us. Lakes and rivers are up and they feed down and help wash out the back bays at the gulf.

Happy in Texas Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I've been fussing along. The first 1 gallon kit of foam wasn't half enough. I know this 'cuz I ordered another, used it, and still had to order another half gallon. Someday I'll get it all foamed and be able to glue down the sole. Here's progress to date on the inside slotted rubrail thing. Using Fred's pics I as a tutorial here's my first one setting up:

Now here it is dry fitted:

There's a bit of fiddle where it hits the front deck:

I cut a bevel on the front spacer for it and clamped in down, dry fit, to get this.

I'll trust in Quickfair to finish it later. Yesterday afternoon I glued down the doubler. It's two layers of quarter inch ply.

More foam came late yesterday so I'll use that today. I'm struggling a bit with the front bow eye. There's not much room on the nose for an eye and bow roller to meet, so I may need to go lower at a funny angle. I'll post pics for later.

Been looking at batteries for front trolling motor. Motor is to be Motorguide 55lb with anchor lock. Takes only 12 volts, I'm not willing to go with 2 batteries. The Motorguide used 50 some odd amps at full power, maybe half that on half power, etc. So the battery needs 60AH or better. I've been reading on batteries, amp hours, reserve charge, etc. Looking at VMAXtank batteries for now. They're all heavy dang things, but a good trolling motor with anchor lock is what I want.

Hoping the best for folks in the storms way.
Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dougster, looking really nice. Would you give me the total amount of foam you used? Thank you, Jeff

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Nice looking rail there, Dougster.

If you are planning to round over the edges, here is what worked good for me- make up both rails so they are identical, clamp them with the slotted portions together, then run a router with a roundover bearing bit around all the openings and the outside edges. Otherwise it's impossible to get the bottom edges once installed. After install, round over the hull edge in all the openings. Having a little radius there rather than the square edge makes them a lot nicer in use- no sharp corner to lean on, chip finish off, etc.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Great pointer Fred, I really appreciate it and will give that a go. Jeff, I used two 1 gallon kits, then a good half of a 1/2 gallon kit. By 1 gallon kit I mean one gallon of resin or what ever it is and one gallon of hardener, so a one gallon kit means two gallons of mixed foam. Thanks again Fred :D

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you Dougster!! Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Looking good Doug 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I like how you precurved that inwhale as you glued it up. that's clever.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks Fred, I think I get how you used the router. I'm terrible with one but will try it. As I get it, you clamp the rails together, insert against insert and route out the the two size rectangles (big and little) that makes, top and bottom? Dunno if that makes sense. Anyway, I'll start fooling with that Monday. Today was glue down the sole day, always a milestone I guess. Not much to look at, but here it is, with what Spokaloo (earlier forum member) called some "SHS" clamps.

Dougster