Double Tape on Chines FL14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
PaleseZT
New Poster
New Poster

Double Tape on Chines FL14

Post by PaleseZT »

Building the FL14. Thought I might be able to get through it without posting, but..

The lamination schedule calls for double tape on the outside chine for the FL14. Is this so? If so, I am 20+ feet short of tape. Don't think I'll make it with the e-resin either. Also on my second bag of wood flour.

Thanks,

JP
JP

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Where do you see "double tape"?
You use one layer on each side, that's all.

Let's do the math: chine is 12' long, 4 layers = 48', let's say 50'. Add 10' for bow transom, 2 times = 20. Most people double there = 40.
New total = 90'
Now teh frames and seats 30' total = 120' = 40 yards.
The kit includes a 50 yard roll. There is more than enough.

About the resin and woodflour: 1st time builders tend to use too much.
Remember, less resin makes the fiberglass stronger.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

PaleseZT
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PaleseZT »

Thanks for the quick reply.

The lamination schedule on the drawing for the FL14 shows tape doubled up on outside. Also shows optional glassing of entire surface.

Now, regarding the math, I am a bit confused. Either I glassed too much on the inside, or it is not adding up to me. I glassed each seat frame (5 in total) on each side at the bottom and up the sides. Let's say an average of 8' for a subtotal of 40' add in 10' for the inside of the transom and bow and add another 24' for the inside longitudinal seam for a total of 74'. Add that to the estimate of 90' for the outside and it requires 164'. I am about 15' short of having enough to do the two outside chines double (all that I have left to do).

Did I glass too much on the inside? Was I not supposed to go to the top of the sides at the seat frames?

I will admit to using too much resin, especially when applying the tape, but I don't think I could have gotten away with 1 bag of wood flour.

Thanks for your reply.

JP
JP

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I think you look at the layer of optional outside fiberglassing.
On the outside, there is one layer of tape and, optional, one layer of wide fabric covering the whole thing.

Our math is correct: we do not make rough estimates as in my message but we extract all perimeters and areas from CAD to Excel.
Frame A is 5', the largest one is 7'.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have one extra layer but you are correct, there isn't enough tape and resin in the kit in that case.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

PaulMcClure
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PaulMcClure »

Like Jacques says, there's only one layer on the tape on the outside of the chines. Trust him, he's the designer ;-)

I built the FL14 last year. Good little boat and very strong - even with the one layer :-D

I didn't bother glassing the outside, but that has meant a need for a bit of maintenance this year as there are a lot of rocks where I use it.