PX14 Cross beams question

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

PX14 Cross beams question

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I think Richard will be able to answer me the following questions.
Does one has to use nails for the crossbeams ?
I wonder if I could not glue the 4 boards toether with woodflour/epoxy glue and at the bottom 2 woodflour/epoxy fillets and for the top a fillet sized cleat to have a bigger glueing surface ?
Would it help to cover the crossbeams with fibre glass tape after glueing ?
I would prefer not to use any nails since I became so convinced of epoxy glue on the boats I built.
What is the advantage to leave the crossbeams at the ends open against closing them ?
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PX14 Cross beams question

Post by fallguy1000 »

Richard has been busy and probably missed your post. I do not have all the answers, but you would probably do best to post your questions on his forum. Additionally, I think they leave the beams open to avoid trapping water in them.

Nails are typically meant to be a temporary hold in such a structure. I do not think you need them, but they will help keep in together while the epoxy is setting. Get the final say from Richard, though.

I think glassing the exterior of the beams would help give them strength and I believe I've seen it advised in other posts.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was out of the country and came back last night.

Richard is out on the water, racing. He broke his rudder yesterday and had to leave the race, he will be back on the forum soon.

In the mean time, for Karl.
The nails are there to hold the parts together while the epoxy cures but I think Richard will agree if you assemble with clamps or whatever.
Fiberglassing the beam is not necessary but it can not hurt except for a small increase in weight.
I would close the ends, maybe fill the whole beam with foam?

All that are my preferences, Richard may have a different opinion and he is the designer, he will have the last word.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Richard has answered my question by email already. He says the beam can surely just be glued and it should stay open, so that there is less chance of rot. And he also said like all of you : There is no need to glass tape them.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433