sailboat kit construction bow.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
hiskey2
New Poster
New Poster

sailboat kit construction bow.

Post by hiskey2 »

Working on a CR13 kit I can't see any way tho get the bottom panels to join at the bow. Is there a trick to doing this? Help, I can't proceed!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: sailboat kit construction bow.

Post by jacquesmm »

Please post pictures.

Start with very loose stitches and do not try to push the panels against the frames.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

hiskey2
New Poster
New Poster

Post by hiskey2 »

I've tried loose stitches, tight stitches, no stitches and I can't get the right and left bottom panels to come together at the bow to make the shape required. The wood doesn't bend/twist enough to bring the curves together. Without this I'm left with a $2K pile of scrap plywood. Very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Many of those boats were built, we will help you solve the problem but without pictures, it is very difficult.
With pictures, I will see what the extent of the problem is, where the panels touch and propose solutions.

Do the panels push against each other? Where? At chine or keel? How far from the bow? Or is there a gap? How much? Or is it an interference with the frames?

I want to help but to say that it does not bend does not give me enough information.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The bow on my boat was difficult, but as Jacques said, a large number of his boats have been built by people who have never done this kind of thing before, like me. I struggled with the bow on my V10 in the same way you are, and if you search the forums, you will find many descriptions of people dealing with this. As he says, upload some photos and Jacques and others will be able to assist you. :D
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Here's what I eventually resorted to, although most builders don't find it necessary to go to these lengths:
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The V10 and V12 are tight but I have pictures of some other boat bows were the panels meet when the builder push with one finger.
The CR13 should be something in between but as soon as we see pictures, we can propose solutions.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi,

Bending sheets can be difficult but not undo-able, Try doing this.

Take the sharpest point with the most curve that is usually at the sharpest point at the bow and stitch that first don't stitch the rest of the sheet together, put lots of stitches in at first as many as an inch apart (2.5cm) Make sure you use good quality zip ties, then slowly expand that as you get away from the curviest part. Get a friend to hold the un-stitched part up so you can do your stitching, if you can't get help use a box,chair anything to help support the un-stitched side. I hope this is helpfull. Regards Salvatore.

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

I put a million stitches in my V12, started with them loose then just worked around methodically like replacing and tightening wheel nuts, slowly tightening each zip tie. You really have to tease them in. It was hard, but eventually came together.

I imagine Tony's was even harder being a slightly smaller hull (V10) needing almost the same curve.

Keep at it, it will come together.

Good luck

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin