Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by narfi »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater
:lol: :lol: :lol: that quote would make a great signature

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Conditions like that (or any conditions, in fact) are not to be taken lightly. Yes, I would say on a course that is a reach on every leg, 5.5 seems a bit slow. You'd have to look at the charplotter to see what was going on. I would be interested; my guess is your distance over the ground was quite a bit more than the course distance, even if you were on a reach, simply because of the difficult conditions. Being overpowered is also slow. Excessive weather helm means excessive rudder drag because of the need to constantly correct for it. You may have benefitted from a second reef but I don't know that boat and perhaps the first reef is a deep one. In any case it's not the crew's business to tell the owner how to run his boat...unless asked.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

narfi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:51 pm
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater
:lol: :lol: :lol: that quote would make a great signature
done!
terrulian wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:00 pm In any case it's not the crew's business to tell the owner how to run his boat...unless asked.
No one questioned it. I actually respect the way this guy run the boat. I was "acting captain" on the way back. He only chimed in when he felt I was making a bad decision.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Captain didn’t actually start the “trip track” on the plotter. Good thing no one questioned our course. Apparently it is now my responsibility.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Heading down to Lil Bit for a day of “repair the stuff I chose not to do right because ... fishing!” Need a bit of advice so thought I’d ask before I’m staring at the mast/hull.

I didn’t do a great job of overdrill and fill. Today is about cleaning all that up. My thought is that all I need to reply do is get past the thread interface and coat the ply with thickened epoxy ca completely full the holes with thickened. My thoughts on this are
1. I don’t have a ton of flexibility to get holes realigned as I’m pretty small scale and need to be precise. This option leave a hole that I just screw right back into.
2. I used the same size screws and have straws I can use to create the pilot for screws in the thickened. This helps with #1 above.

What am I risking doing it this way? Air pockets? Epoxy plug pull out?

Will be using marin and cabosil for the fill.

Thanks.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm not quite clear here. Maybe a photo would help.
When you say "screws," are you screwing into plywood, but filling the screw holes with thickened epoxy? I'm trying to think of places you might want to do that but I generally avoid putting wood screws in plywood on a boat to do anything but hold a poster of Britney Spears.
If you mean "machine screws" then you just overdrill, put a coat of neat epoxy on the bare plywood hole, tape up the bottom of the hole, and then fill...but I'm pretty sure you know that so I'm not sure of the problem.
What is "marin" that you're filling with?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tony, think cleats for snotter, downhaul, oarlocks, pintles/grudgeons and such. Those aren’t thru bolted on v12.

Marin is the epoxy from BBC (that’s what mine says).

I know the “standard” method but these are not through drill and I’m going to remove 99% of the material with next drill. And then, if I’m off just a bit, nothing will fit back on. My thought was to over drill, cut a sleeve and dip it in neat, set in hole then put the screw through into the fixture enough to hold sleeve centered. Once that’s racked remove screws and fixture then pack with cabosil.

Now that I think about this (after two hour drive) I’m making too big a deal. Just over drill fill and be careful with the Redrill.

Done.

Out to start drilling and filling.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

The main reason there is a "storage" compartment under the aft seat of my D5 was to create access for the nuts so my rudder gudgeons could be through bolted. 8)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... I went for screws. There’s not that much pressure here. Anything I hit hard enough to pull the screws probably killed me anyway.

All the mast parts done. Going to let that harden till next week and (if I’m not helping flip tipsy) I’ll pilot drill and see how it worked.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I prefer parts getting torn off my boat to have a piece of the boat still attached, for purpose of identification. After we had the earthquake last fall, one of my cow-orkers supposedly remarked that next time, he was going to find the closest thing that I built, and hide under it. :lol: