Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Ried made a compelling arguments against it. My concern with UHMW was weight. She’s already fat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:23 pm I have seen guys with wood drift boats put a layer of UHMW over the bottom. It does a good job of protecting the bottom plus it is slick enough to slide off rocks easier.
I've considered that for my driftboat, stuff ain't cheap. Or light. Still a thought though.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Remember, I turned a 90lb hull into 150lbs. At this point I need to avoid more weight or she won’t be fit for the open sea.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just like that the weather has gone all "no boat build for you!"

Hull is ready for glass.
Glass is cut.
Just need a weather window to get it laid up.

Current plan is
• 3 layers 6oz biax on all seams
• 2 layers 12oz woven for pad on the aft corners (Reid, I confirmed it is 12oz)
Hoping to get it all on in one day with sanding and final fairing the following days.

Top coat repair of the yellow paint will be later. Not going to chance it with the weather.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 am Just like that the weather has gone all "no boat build for you!"
Dipped below 80 has it?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:39 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 am Just like that the weather has gone all "no boat build for you!"
Dipped below 80 has it?
Unbelievable, but yes. there was a 3 in the tens place today. The dog nearly died. had to convince her that her girly bits would not fall off. She was NOT impressed.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 am The dog nearly died. had to convince her that her girly bits would not fall off. She was NOT impressed.
:(

Confirmed! I had to carry my pup halfway across the yard this morning, he is not built for cold weather. And cooler weather coming, gonna be some cabin fever setting in this weekend!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 am
Unbelievable, but yes. there was a 3 in the tens place today.
Dang, that's cold, I don't think we have been that cold for at least a month now. Has mostly just been 1s or 2s in the tens place here. Sometimes as warm as single digits!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

narfi wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm
Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 am
Unbelievable, but yes. there was a 3 in the tens place today.
Dang, that's cold, I don't think we have been that cold for at least a month now. Has mostly just been 1s or 2s in the tens place here. Sometimes as warm as single digits!
Luckily my temp is unaltered by the use of abs(). I fully comprehend the silliness of my complaints. I shall complain nonetheless.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It is all about what you are used to and how large the change is. If you are used to 80 a 50 drop to 30 will seem like the end of the world. Been -20 here and today it is plus 30 :D Feels like a heat wave, got to shed some clothes :lol: