Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz »

As Jm said just use cups. I have been just buying small ones in a Costco 100-250 pack. If I need to mix a batch smaller than 2 cups to one cup I just put the resin in one and eyeball the hardener in the other. I find your eye is a pretty dang good judge. So far I have never had a bad batch doing it this way. And yes I know that is not the best way of doing it and some folks would not approve :P

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I was thinking about that. Clean solo cups. Two funnels. A scale. Store funnels in large ziplock bags and clearly label resin and hardener. Use disposable plastic bowls for mixing.

Seem right?
You don't need to weigh it, or use those messy pumps. I mix by volume in graduated mixing cups from Lowes. I get the 1 quart cups, they are only about $1 each. I label one with "H" marks with a blue marker and another with "R" with a red marker, and use them both until they get funky, which takes a long while. After I measure both, I pour them into cheap plastic keg cups. If the job is big I'll measure out the needed epoxy ahead of time, put the resin in red cups, hardener in blue, and have them ready to mix as needed. Measuring cups is all I use, 8 ounces resin, 4 ounces hardener, works every time :D 10% either way doesn't seem to matter. I keep my resin cup on the right, hardener on the left, always. Red is for resin, right is for resin. Hard to mess it up, but sometimes I still do :lol: It could be the rum :doh:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I like that. That will be my plan. Will also make it easier to keep premeasured cups chilled in the fridge.

Added to the shopping list.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff, can you give me a call? we have a problem with scheduling that might impact delivery...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

It could be the rum :doh:
Red, right, and rum...It's all for resin!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

I use clear plastic cups and draw lines on them with a marker using a measuring cup and water. Fill to the first line with hardner and then to the second with resin. With this heat have been mixing very small batches. 2oz hardner: 4oz resin. Takes about 5 minutes to make 4 or 5 of them which is more than enough for a day's work.

A lot cleaner than pumps and faster.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jaysen wrote:Jeff, can you give me a call? we have a problem with scheduling that might impact delivery...
Crisis averted... Truck will be here tomorrow.

Just had to explain, "no dear, it won't be in the water before we leave Thursday night". I'm not sure if she is making fun of me, having fun with me, or ... let's just leave it with those two options.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, drop me a note when it is delivered!! Also, please advise when you receive your Sail as their shop with ship directly to you. Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Let the fun begin!

Hard to believe there is a 12' boat in there. I'll unwrap it tonight and maybe get the long panels started.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, glad your V12 arrived safe and sound!! Jeff