Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

1. I'm an idiot
2. Angle grinder + 40g flap wheel == need to express point 1.
3. Knowing that I get to go over it again with paste makes me feel that point 2 is less of an issue.

Question: do I need the double layer transom? If I get a motor it will be an electric and under 3hp. I'm thinking all I need is the one layer. Thoughts?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I don't think you need more than 1 if you are going to use a small electric motor. Let's wait and let Fuzz or Cracker Larry give you a final opinion!! Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

An angle grinder is an implement of destruction. I only use those when tearing a boat apart, not for building one :help: We've all been idiots at least once, sometimes more than once :D I leave the angle grinder on the shelf, right along with the belt sander, when building a boat.

If you don't double the transom, at least put a clamping board 8 or 10" high along the entire top. If it were me, I'd double it and put a clamping board. Never know what the future might bring. I've never been known to under build anything though :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

In my defense I was destroying the glops of epoxy.

My only "concern" is the added weight. It's not much but I've realized that the transport cart may not like the added weight of the glassed bottom. I thought that maybe a decent trade off would be the double transom for the glass on the bottom.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... Looks like it's going to be "fix puzzle joints first". Just had one decide it was not glued properly enough so it let go. Nothing that can't be put back together.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Those glops of epoxy are much easier to clean up when wet. Saves a lot of work and sanding. Try to work clean, don't leave glops to dry and sand off. I'd put a layer of tape over those puzzle joints.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tape? Packing tape?

The glops are from the not-thick-as-peanut-butter glue running through the joint. Can see right through a few spots post "idiot".

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Tape? Packing tape?
No, 6" fiberglass tape. Glass one side with tape, let it cure. Fill the joint good with thickened epoxy on the other side, the glass tape will hold in the glue. Strike it off clean with a plastic spreader. No sanding necessary. And don't put that plastic sheeting on top of it, it just makes a mess and creates more work. Use what you need to not glue it to the floor underneath though.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen I would do everything Cracker Larry says. He is THE MAN when it comes to building these boats :wink:
As for the transom I would bet one layer would be strong enough but that would limit your options. Maybe you or somebody else will want to put a motor on it at a later date and then that little extra glass would have sure been nice :doh: Either way it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Recovery from plan:
1. Let wood dry (some idiot fell asleep and it rained without the cover)
2. Use CL glass tape method putting tape on INSIDE of hull panels.
3. Glue up all doubled pieces including transom.
4. Get back on assembly schedule.

Only really sets me back 4 days but I have a lot of working time tomorrow. Shouldn't be more than a day behind by tomorrow evening.