Another SK14 Bow Question

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14 Bow Question

Post by Dougster »

Sure looks familiar (maybe a bit cleaner than mine :oops: ). I'm a couple of threads below you with the same build. Looks like you put extra doublers midships? I've haven't updated lately as all I have been doing is fairing the inside. Are you planing on stainless/aluminum centerpost like the plans show pictured?

Dougster

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by elementfiftyfour »

Hi Dougster,
Since this is my first boat build, I have been watching your thread to ensure that I'm still on the right track. I'm patiently waiting to see some progress on the bottom of your hull and how you fair the glass on the bottom.
Yes I added doublers all the way from the transom to the front bulkhead. I did this prior to realizing how much the flotation foam would support the deck. Figured it couldn't really hurt.
As for the center post, yes I am planning on doing this but a bit differently. I am attaching an aluminum folding step stool to the sole that will function as a grab handle when in motion but also function as a casting platform when sight fishing reds in the marsh. Since it is a folding step stool, it can also be laid flat on the deck when trailered or in storage.
There are other additions I have implemented such as a built in dry storage in the front compartment. I foamed in a plastic bucket that will function as the compartment rather than just tossing stuff in the cavity below the deck. I am using PVC brick mold for the rub rail rather than the suggested 3/4" wood rail. This seems to have worked pretty well as the epoxy in addition to some stainless steel screws are holding stronger than I can pry off. As you also noted, there isn't much place to attach a U-bolt up front so I epoxied in a wood block to provide additional girth that I can run a lug into.
I contemplated installing a fuel bladder up front to eliminate the unsightly fuel tank that will have to be set on the rear deck. I ultimately decided against this idea since it seemed like too much effort and cost for a first time build.

My plan to have the build done by November to take advantage of the fall fishing doesn't look like it will happen. Good thing I still have my SoloSkiff to get out on the water.

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Here are your pics!!!

Doin some fairing.

Thanks for the idea Dougster. Sadly I have no friends to bribe with beer and pizza that could help me flip this little boat over.

Now for the bottom.

Should have he fiberglass on the bottom this coming weekend and then begin fairing it out. If I keep this up, I might be able to finish it this year. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice clean build and great flip!!! Jeff

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Glassed the bottom.

Pics are somewhere around here.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice looking work on a great looking design :D

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Man I really love sanding!!!

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Looking for the paint next. What do y'all suggest for the primer and topcoat? Any suggested reading about the steps, procedure and tips will be really helpful.
Plan is to do a darker green or blue on the bottom of the hull and then a light version on the top. Maybe white, but I like the colors instead.

Another question, has anyone seen or used the fiberglass as a turf option for the sole or deck? After wetting out the fiberglass on the bottom hull I was impressed with how nice the textured surface looked. Thought about using the left over sheet from the hull, cutting it to the desired shape and wetting it out on the sole. Once that sets up, just clean up the edges with fairing and paint over it. Seems like it should leave a nice durable textured surface. Thoughts, ideas? I know there are other options of course.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I used 1708 with the roving up on the back deck of a work boat. It held up for the 10 years I had the boat so I would say it can be done. Gave a nice non-skid even when coated with slime from hundreds of fish. Cleaning was a bit more work but I had a high pressure water hose so no big deal.

topwater

Post by topwater »

For primer use System Three high build primer , two or three coats wait a week and longboard sand to 220 grit.
Then paint with EMC topcoat .
Novi 23 finally launched !