Another SK14 Bow Question

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another SK14 Bow Question

Post by Jeff »

Topwater, excellent recommendation!! Jeff

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by elementfiftyfour »

One last touch up sanding and I'll be done with the hull. Paint is on the way!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good!!! Jeff

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

Is that the shade of blue on the brick wall that you are using? 8O :help:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

stickystuff wrote:Is that the shade of blue on the brick wall that you are using? 8O :help:

Nope, that is just spray over from when the previous owner of my house decided to paint a door.

I selected Pineland from Supermarine for the hull and Light Pewter for the top.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

I was just looking back over your build photos and realized that I have never seen fairing filler applied so well. Almost looks like you didn't need to sand it at all. Incredible job. Bateau needs to send a film crew to your place and document your technique as a tutorial. What did you use as your spreader? I thought I was pretty good, but you are the fairing master for sure. Mike

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

seaslug wrote:I was just looking back over your build photos and realized that I have never seen fairing filler applied so well. Almost looks like you didn't need to sand it at all. Incredible job. Bateau needs to send a film crew to your place and document your technique as a tutorial. What did you use as your spreader? I thought I was pretty good, but you are the fairing master for sure. Mike

Camera adds 10 lbs, which fills in all the little seams and divots that needed touched up on the second pass.
All I used though was a 12" drywall taping knife and meticulous attention to detail.

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Got a chance to add the first coat of primer over the weekend. Thought it would go on smoother but I ended up with a lot more dimples than I expected. Looks more like it went on like wall paint due to the roller. Sanded it out some today but that mostly just took off the tops. It is a lot smoother now but it is a long way away from being like the smooth finish that I saw in a few other threads. It is a bit disturbing to think of all the sanding I did to get the surface nice and smooth with just the fairing paste and then when I coated it with the primer, all that effort was for naught. :?

Some questions for you more experienced folk,
What type of roller do y'all recommend for adding the primer and the paint. I read to use a 3/8" nap standard roller. Any suggestions to use a foam roller instead?
Do you suggest I try tipping out the primer on the next coat to get a smoother finish?
What grit do you start with when sanding out the primer? I started with 80 grit but that quickly ran out of steam when the majority of the roughness was smoothed out. It would take an exceeding ammount of effort to sand down the dimples with this 80 grit.
Is the topcoat paint that much thinner than the primer so that it will lay out smoother.

Here is another pic, probably the worst looking spot. Plan is to hit it some more with the sand paper when I don't have such a bad headache.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Is that system three high build primer ? If it is the longer you wait to sand the harder it gets. Knock it down
with a R O with 80 grit then hit it with the fairing board. Do not go crazy with the RO .
Novi 23 finally launched !

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Personally I've never seen any primer that went on so poorly without any sign of flowing out and laying down flat. I've not used the System 3, but a lot of builders have, and I don't recall any complaints, in fact everyone gives it high praise. Are you sure the mix was correct? Looks like it must have been very thick to stand up like that. Unfortunately it's too late now, and will need more sanding than should be necessary, but I'm sure other guys with more experience with this primer can help with advice. Good luck. Mike