Another SK14 Bow Question

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14 Bow Question

Post by Dougster »

I've used lots of S3 and never seen that :doh: I use foam rollers and 1/4" nap rollers from Home Depot mostly. Sometimes I've tipped it with a disposable foam brush, but didn't last time. With nap rollers last week I wanted to tip but had no brushes and still didn't have a problem. I like the too thick mix idea. 4 to 1 ratio and I recall thinning it a bit with water after the pot sat a couple of hours. I'd go after it with the RO and 80 grit too, but with care. Bummer, but a bit of time will fix it. I have two coats on my SK14 now and hand sanded it a bit last night with 180 grit, which took out some of the pin holes.

Dougster

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by elementfiftyfour »

It is Supermarine Etching Primer. I hit it with a 46 grit paper on the long board this morning and it actually sanded down quite a bit so now it is looking pretty decent.
I ordered some foam brushes that I think will minimize the texture.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I have only used S3 and never saw a finish like that , that's why i asked. Glad you got a handle on it now. Build on.
Novi 23 finally launched !

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Slowly but surely.....

I got a chance to put a couple coats of bottom paint on the hull today. Looks pretty decent but am likely to give it a light sanding before flipping over.
Anyone think that a 500 grit sand paper on the long board is a good call or should I just accept the light differences in the roller marks that didn't blend together as much as I wanted?

I'm pretty impressed with myself. It actually took some effort to roll over 4" of masking tape and still get that smudge of paint on the transom. Oh well, it is ganna get painted over eventually anyhow.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Elementfiftyfour, looks really good!! Nice paint work!! Jeff

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Flipped it over and back to work on the top.

Checking to see what my post looks like.

Drilled a couple holes in the transom supports to let water drain.

Put some final touches on the fairing and cut the hole for my bucket.

Taped and primed it this morning.

Question about the motor and prop depth.
Is this low enough or do I need to get a long shaft motor? This is the Tohatsu 5HP short shaft that I got for my rotomolded SoloSkiff.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

really nice build

The motor height looks perfect - but let the experts be the final word................ "ventilation plate level with the keel line"

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hi,

I had the same doubt, in tutorials I found this:
Most planing boats will work better with the cavitation plate flush with the bottom of the boat or a little bit above: 1/2" is common.
http://bateau2.com/howto/shaftlength.php

Regards,

Carlos

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

csotelo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:30 am Hi,

I had the same doubt, in tutorials I found this:
Most planing boats will work better with the cavitation plate flush with the bottom of the boat or a little bit above: 1/2" is common.
http://bateau2.com/howto/shaftlength.php

Regards,

Carlos
Thanks, just the info I was looking for in relation to such a skinny water boat. I looked over a lot of the build tutorials but apparently missed that one all together.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The motor looks perfect, and if not you can slightly adjust the transom height later a lot easier and cheaper than a long shaft.

I'm glad you flipped it, as I was going to tell you no one will ever see the bottom and it looked great from here. Can't wait to see pics of this baby running! I'm all about small engines on small boats, and I am wagering she will be lots of fun!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman