FB-11 Jean Bille

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FB11 for Guntersville Lake and the cartop

Post by Jeff »

Ok and good luck Buz!! Send me some photos!! Jeff

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Yep, bad batch. Can tell it was one of my 6oz batches, right down the centerline tape from the bow for most of the length. Some of whatever I mixed up mixed with the edge chines and diluted that good epoxy enough to ruin a few inches of the side tape near the bow, too. Cut it all out where it would pull up. Even pulled a sliver of ply up while learning how hard I should pull on it. Found something called "cleaning vinegar" and did some scrubbing with that. Will let it dry overnite to see if any more goo is still there before sanding it all smooth and patching.

It wasn't one of my last cups of epoxy that I messed up on. Sure did something wrong though. I bought a bigger epoxy kit than BOM for this boat so its all good. What's two days, right?

On a brighter note: I found a nice set of Mariner oars for it on CL this weekend. Was just making a rowboat. Guess I'll put the stiffeners on the transom, after all.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Buz, just stay with it!! Good attitude so you are already half way there!! Jeff

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Tougher job than I was expecting. That goo is tenacious! Three hours of scrubbing, maybe half done.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Good teaching lesson :lol: Bet you will not do that again :help: You are not the first or the last to make a mixing screw up.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FB11 for Guntersville Lake and botched tape

Post by Buz »

Yeah, I can do without that one again. Found that the secret to getting it off is scraping, then scrubbing what you can't scrape. The sander w/60grit and scrubbing with vinegar will help with the gooed-up tape at the edges of where it did cure if you are ready to sacrifice lots of paper as it loads up. Better results than scrubbing with rags/whatever. Vinegar and rags is not gonna cut whatever concoction I put on there. Luckily for me it was all on top of a good base of cured epoxy, so when I figured out the scraping, it went well.

But I cannot figure out how to get 6oz tape to consistently lay across a chine without the weave spreading out right on the bend as I pull the epoxy along with a plastic scraper or chip brush. The guide threads pull away from the chine and the weave spreads. End up with, at best, uni-directional glass for a few inches, or even worse, it does that plus puffs up and won't lay for nuthin. :help:

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I don't do well with the woven tape, but better with biax. Also, I'd use a roller there, not a scraper or brush, to make it less likely to pull.

Dougster

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

One of those small aluminum "laminating rollers" sold here? Is that what I'm missing? Does the size matter?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I just use foam paint roller from one of the box stores.

Dougster

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I'll try that then. Thanks. I'll roll over the last length of tape stuck on top of a tacky coat. I was thinking a wet roller would lift the tape as it passed over.