CC14 modifications

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
SwampKnight
New Poster
New Poster

CC14 modifications

Post by SwampKnight »

I'm about to begin building a CC14 but I wanted to get thoughts from the experts on a couple of modifications I would like to make. I plan on using 1/4" plywood for the sides but I want to use 3/8" for the bottom. I'm a big guy (6'3", 260lbs) and I want the bottom to be sturdy enough to support me. Also, it looks like the plans call for 22" floor width at the middle with the sides flaring to 28" wide. Could I slightly increase this to 26" floor width and flare the sides to 32". Since I'll be using one sheet of plywood for the sides, I assume I could make them a saw kerf under 12" max. Would this work?

Thanks for any advice offered. I have built a 7'6" Aury Punt that was able to float in spite of my beginners mistakes, but I didn't make any modifications.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CC14 modifications

Post by Jeff »

SwampKnight, welcome back!! I am going to leave your questions for Jacques!! Jeff

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I'd spend 10 bucks and get the plans for the NC16. It's an instant download now so you don't even have to wait for it to be delivered. It uses almost the same amount of wood but it's bigger and has more load capacity. WAY easier to build than figuring out the modifications for the CC14 on the fly, and it's engineered to work well and paddle easily.

I've built several CC14s and that's too much weight for that boat. It will have precious little freeboard. Making it wider will increase the weight capacity, but it also is going to affect how the panels fit together, nest on the plywood, etc. It has the potential to make an easy and satisfying project into one that's much more frustrating and it may not paddle so well when it's done

3/8 flooring in a CC14 would be way too heavy. You're better to use thin, high quality plywood and skin it with light cloth. Add a couple small skegs to the bottom, it really stiffens things up. You would be amazed at the stiffness and strength of 1/4" plywood skinned with 6oz fiberglass on each side. Also make the top rail a little beefier than spec'd, it makes a big difference in the stiffness. I'm real partial to slotted rails, they are lightweight, elegant, and give you a place to tie stuff down.

SwampKnight
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SwampKnight »

Thanks guys. I've checked out the NC16. Looks great.

Fred, that is a beauty you have built. I can only hope my turns out half as nice.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Thanks. that one is my daughter's. It's scaled down to 80% since she's only about 90 pounds I wanted a boat that fit her right instead of fighting with an adult sized craft.

It's made of 2.5mm ply with (I think) 4 oz glass on both sides, whole thing weighs about 25 pounds. It's stiff and strong enough that it feels very solid even with my 185 pounds in it (but then it only has a tiny bit of freeboard, so leaning it over even a little fills it with water).

SwampKnight
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SwampKnight »

What is the weight and capacity of the NC16?

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I don't see it on the plans page but from the materials I would guess 10 pound more or so. It's a few inches wider and will have probably 25% or better increase in weight capacity

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Very little capacity . . . it is a small and narrow boat but several of our employees have built them and one of them routinely took his neighbor fishing in it, total 400+ lbs. Those guys knew how to handle a boat, I say it's a one person boat.

About the bottom: there are life rafts for 20 persons made with a fabric bottom: it is the water that supports your weight, the plywood is just in between. 1/4" is fine.

You can use 3/8 if you want.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com