P19 Fuel Tank

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: P19 Fuel Tank

Post by grundasaurus »

Hi Tom, the issue Im having with the center tanks is just that I can't seem to find any plastic tanks that would fit, most aluminum places either quoted really high (one in Canada said $2200 for a 50g tank), or would involve me waiting for quite a while for the tank to be made then shipped. I also really don't like the idea of a metal tank that could corrode. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a tank on either side, wouldn't the fuel pump draw an even amount from each thus maintaining equilibrium? As for the C of G change, I was thinking of placing a fresh water tank in the center to balance it all out again.

On another note, we ended up deciding not to do the bracket, I want to get the build done and keep it simple. It is also very pricey especially with the exchange rate. It would cost us pretty much an extra $3000CAD to have it built, shipped and installed.
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Have you tried these folks? speedytanks.com Everyone here uses them. They coat there tanks included in the price. Design it to your dimensions and put the fittings where you want them. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

No the pick-ups will not draw evenly from each tank do to the rolling and motion of the boat. You will need to switch from tank to tank. If you put trim tabs on they can be used to offset the draw down of the fuel tanks. No need for water in the keel it will just reduce performance, 20 gallons is 200lbs that the motor has to push.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm
No the pick-ups will not draw evenly from each tank do to the rolling and motion of the boat. You will need to switch from tank to tank.
Last time I checked, a fuel tank pickup was on the bottom of the tank.
Does a motor quit burning fuel when you encounter a wave or go around a corner?
An incorrect post like the quote above is the reason to look to experienced boat builder's for advice.
Where is Cracker when you need him :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I just ordered a 60 gallon belly tank from SpeedyTanks. The tank was just over $600. It will end up a little higher because I got all the fittings and fuel gauge and sender from them. As for shipping it is hard to believe it will be higher than mine. Shipping was $430. I have not received the tank yet so I can not say how it looks but many folks here have been pleased with them.
There is one good thing about wing tanks in that they add to initial stability by having the weight further out . I thought long and hard about plastic wing tanks but in the end I decided it was simpler to go with the belly tank.

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Hi Fuzz, thanks for the reply! I really am leaning towards the wing tanks just for their simplicity. I like the durability/ peace of mind of the plastic, and the ease of inspection/ if I ever need to remove one. I also work a summer job at a boat shop so I can get the moeller tanks for manufacturers price... I was gonna build seatboxes anyways, and the stability would seem nice. The redundancy of having separate tanks also appeals to me ( if one got contaminated you could run the other etc). And I can then mount my fuel system at the end once the boat's on a trailer when I can take it to my mechanic. Just thought I'd check if there were any major design/ structural hiccups this would cause.

Ps. the belly space could then be used as a storage locker for water skis etc!
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This is the great thing about custom building your own boat. You get to do it the way you want it :D

topwater

Post by topwater »

As long as you don't foam in an aluminum tank and have it epoxy coated it would probably out last you.
I think i paid about 550 for my 50 gal tank from Speedytanks a few years back.
Novi 23 finally launched !

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 pm
TomW1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm
No the pick-ups will not draw evenly from each tank do to the rolling and motion of the boat. You will need to switch from tank to tank.
Last time I checked, a fuel tank pickup was on the bottom of the tank.
Does a motor quit burning fuel when you encounter a wave or go around a corner?
An incorrect post like the quote above is the reason to look to experienced boat builder's for advice.
Where is Cracker when you need him :lol:
Richard meant to leave that out and I guess I didn't. Of course the pickups are at the bottoms of the tanks. Man I miss Larry.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

grundasaurus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 am Hi Fuzz, thanks for the reply! I really am leaning towards the wing tanks just for their simplicity. I like the durability/ peace of mind of the plastic, and the ease of inspection/ if I ever need to remove one. I also work a summer job at a boat shop so I can get the moeller tanks for manufacturers price... I was gonna build seatboxes anyways, and the stability would seem nice. The redundancy of having separate tanks also appeals to me ( if one got contaminated you could run the other etc). And I can then mount my fuel system at the end once the boat's on a trailer when I can take it to my mechanic. Just thought I'd check if there were any major design/ structural hiccups this would cause.

Ps. the belly space could then be used as a storage locker for water skis etc!
You make some excellent points, but remember that by going with wing tanks you give up stability by not having the fuel low and in the center of your boat. You also incur extra expense with dual fuel lines, gages, wiring, etc.

And as Fuzz said the nice thing about building one of these boats is you can build it the ways you want to. So build on and enjoy the experience :D

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

What bracket did you decide to go with/