CR13 build...I have altered the plan.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CR13 build...I have altered the plan.

Post by mpd84 »

Hello, i know this is a pretty old thread but i was wondering if you ever got a video of raising and lowering the mast. I am planning my CR13 build and this option looks very appealing. Also, do you have any advice or gotchas that i should be aware of in my build?

Awesome build by the way! Thanks for posting this!
Corvidae wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:38 am Hopefully this weekend I can get a good video of raising and lowering the mast. And I still need to finish the gunter rig I have started. The mast and spars are shaped, but need to be trimmed down to size and coated.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

I have since sold the boat actually. I might be able to get a video of the tabernacle working though. It's been through a few minor adjustments.

What I learned along the way is that it would be best to plan a way to place the mast fore or after depending on the rig. I had two separate masts that I used and they didn't have quite the same center of effort. The bermuda rig had a severe weather helm until I installed a bow sprit for the jib. That balanced it out very nicely. The gunther rig is still way off balance, the mast needs to be able 6 inches forward of where it is.

If I were to do it again, I'd use plywood to build bulkheads on either side of the box about 12 to 18 inches above the gunwhale height. And I'd have some peg stops in the top instead of a molded in hinge point. That way i could set the box where the mast/rig would balance better. The extra height would make rowing uncomfortable but a possibility, since as it is now the mast is right where your chest would be while sitting on the dagger board trunk. Also add a rest to the transom for when the mast is down. Right now the flag on top of the mast just dangles into the water, meaning you get sprinkled when you lower/raise the mast. Nothing serious, but annoying.

I also found that the shorter 10 foot gunther mast didn't need stay lines at all, the tabernacle box was plenty to steady it with just the bow line. For a taller bermuda rig, consider chain plates to put the say lines as far out as possible.

Last thing, wrap every wood/wood epoxy join in fiberglass. The tabernacle box, my gunnels and the mast all started to separate. I had to sand them down, fill the gaps with epoxy and throw some glass over all of them. It doesn't take much, the superlight glass is plenty, but it needs to be there.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Nice! Are planning to build another?

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Went and bought myself a 40ft sailboat and moved onto it. Between the thousand things to fix on the big boat and the lack of build space it's going to be a while before I can build another. I'd really like to bang out a nesting dinghy that can sail. We'll see what the future brings though. I also have a dream of dual kayaks lashed into a catamaran. Space and time are at a big premium right now, so we'll have to see what the future holds.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Corvidae wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 pm Went and bought myself a 40ft sailboat and moved onto it. Between the thousand things to fix on the big boat and the lack of build space it's going to be a while before I can build another. I'd really like to bang out a nesting dinghy that can sail. We'll see what the future brings though. I also have a dream of dual kayaks lashed into a catamaran. Space and time are at a big premium right now, so we'll have to see what the future holds.
Wow! 8)