E-Cat 24

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E-Cat 24

Post by Bartman »

Has anyone built an E-Cat 24? I'm new, hello. I have a composites background but not in boatbuilding, mine is in automotive a little in aerospace. I have a friend that owns a fiberglass boat company. For me, they are overweight, over powered and overly expensive. He builds one model with twin 300 Yamaha's. Don't get me wrong, they build a wonderful boat, lifetime transferable warranty, etc. But the twin 300 are $60-70k and a day fishing burns a huge amount of fuel. I maybe could afford one of those boats. But it's not my style, I'm no tree huger but I also don't see the need to waste that amount of money and resources on a past time. For my needs, I will need two boats. For my first project I want to build an open deck boat for fishing with 2-4 people on board. I fish a 144,000 acre lake with locks to river on to ocean. Most people use a bass boat and others use a pontoon. Hurricane Matthew just crushed my Allison bass boat. I'm not going that route again. My family likes several of our friends pontoon but we find the railings and furniture to get in the way for fishing. Rambling sorry....Second boat offshore fishing and intracoastal cruising.

bateau-webmaster

Re: E-Cat 24

Post by bateau-webmaster »

We haven't yet had a completed build thread, but have had a lot of interest in this design. This would be a great boat for a big lake like that. The engine options are very efficient.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

From the designer:
your program is borderline to fit the EC24 or a pontoon boat like the PC20 or larger.
The pontoon serie (PC) can take standard pontoon boat furniture, not the EC24 or then, only made very light from foam sandwich.
The pontoon boats have more capacity and can take more HP. The EC24 is really focused on maximum efficiency, minimum power.
You decide, you set the priorities.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bartman »

The EC24 still speaks to me. Can you give me an estimated freeboard empty and at load capacity?

Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I will measure that tomorrow but it is something easy to change.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OK, here it is:
As designed, the EC24 at 2,000 lbs displacement floats in 9" (see study plans). The freeboard in the middle is 21.5".
The PPI is 295 lbs. That means, for every 295 lbs added or subtracted from the displacement. the DWL goes up or down 1", same for the freeboard.
Pick a load (displacement = hull weight plus load) that you like and see what it does to the freeboard.
For example, a 2,600 lbs displacement would reduce the freeboard by 2".

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bartman »

Thank you, I certainly appreciate your quick reply and information.

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bartman »

Well checking in to see if there are any E-Cat 24 builds yet?? This still speaks to me. I wish it were a little more power and a little faster. I'd like to ideally reach 25 kts but I could live with 20. I've thought about building a Woods but just with a deck to get a little more speed but I like the shape of the E-Cat 24 hulls. I really don't care for the look of the hard chine above the waterline on the woods. Please, please don't take that the wrong way. What a great boat, what a great designer Woods is. The Skoota as designed looks great but for me, if I strip it down to a deck, I don't like that hard chine above the water line.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

A Statement of Requirements needs to lead if you are serious about building.

These are all the things you must have.

If you do that; you will quickly learn that appearances are not everything.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Bartman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 am Well checking in to see if there are any E-Cat 24 builds yet?? This still speaks to me. I wish it were a little more power and a little faster. I'd like to ideally reach 25 kts but I could live with 20. I've thought about building a Woods but just with a deck to get a little more speed but I like the shape of the E-Cat 24 hulls. I really don't care for the look of the hard chine above the waterline on the woods. Please, please don't take that the wrong way. What a great boat, what a great designer Woods is. The Skoota as designed looks great but for me, if I strip it down to a deck, I don't like that hard chine above the water line.
The EC24 is my design, not Richard's. :D
I agree that he is a great designer.
The EC24 was designed with a very specific goal: super efficiency at a reasonable speed. To go faster than the designed speed will double or triple the power requirement. You will also need to reinforce the bottom and the beams which means more weight which means more power, a spiral that goes against the original goal.
If you want to go fast, look at my pontoon boats like the PC24. You"ll get to 25 mph certainly, not 25 kn.
Same for the Woods designs, 25 knots is asking too much.