SB18 keel AGAIN!!!

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
jasongavin
New Poster
New Poster

SB18 keel AGAIN!!!

Post by jasongavin »

Hi Guys

I am busy getting materials together to start building and was wondering if anyone has used a different timber species for the keel? For some reason my suppliers in this area (South coast UK) are questioning the suitability of the timber. I have told them in diplomatic terms that they are not yacht designers and should just quote me for what I have asked. My thinking is to go for oak which I know is about 40% heavier but should be strong enough.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jay

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SB18 keel AGAIN!!!

Post by jacquesmm »

You can go for oak but it is unnecessarily heavy.
I designed the boat but Evan Gatehouse did the keel engineering. Evan worked for Bruce Farr, designed America's Cup boats, he is a mechanical engineer and just finished sailing around the world. I think we can trust his keel specs.

Your advisers probably do not know about all the fiberglass layers that strengthen that keel.
If you want, you can add a couple of uni carbon layers and use the best resin, Silver Tip.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hi,

What sort of wood do they suggest? Some wood species have the same name but are different wood in different countries I.e. mahogany.

White oak has a reputation for not bonding with epoxy well. But aggressively sand the bonding surface, wipe down with acetone to remove oils and you should be O.k.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jasongavin
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jasongavin »

Hi Jacques and Evan thanks for the info. I agree on the oak being too heavy and have now found a supplier to get me DF so will go down that route. Time to order and start building!!! :D cheers
Jay

emosewa
New Poster
New Poster

Post by emosewa »

I believe our 1959 mahogany Thompson wooden strake 15' runabout also has a Mahogany keel.
you might try looking into cypress. It is probably much more affordable.