Building a Pixie 14 or Quattro 14, 16

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Building a Pixie 14 or Quattro 14, 16

Post by Bartman »

I am interested in building an ECAT 24 but my son thinks we need a smaller fishing boat sometimes. Would it be practical to build a beach catamaran with a lightweight deck and equip with a 5 hp outboard at the stern and a foot controlled trolling motor at the bow? Would this be too much weight with two adults on board fishing? Is there a better option around 16 feet in a multi hull. What I really like is those rowing competition chase boats like http://wintechracing.com/equipment/launches/ but outfitted for fishing, maybe even tiller outboard. Any thoughts, or comments? Maybe build Ecat 24 after this one.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building a Pixie 14 or Quattro 14, 16

Post by jacquesmm »

The Quattro 16 would be a good candidate IF kept very light.
I would make a deck from foam sandwich.

PS" I had those wakeless boats in mind while designing the Ecat 24.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Building a Pixie 14 or Quattro 14, 16

Post by Woods Designs »

My apologies for not being on this forum very often the last few weeks. We were home in the UK sorting out builders and new designs.

Then last week we flew back to our Skoota 28 powercat in Indiantown, Fl. Right now we are in the "work yard" prepping the boat for another winter in the Bahamas. We moved into the yard last Thursday and since then have sanded the hulls, applied 2 coats of primer and two coats yellow topcoat. So its looking much smarter now. We have also done many of the little maintenance jobs all boats need after 4 years. We should be launching Mon/Tues

Anyway, enough of us.

A couple of people have made my beach cats into powercats. A 5 hp is too much though, a 2.5-3.5hp is enough. The photo shows a Pixie with man and boy on board powered by a 2hp.
pixiemotorboat.jpg
As you can see, a lot of turbulence thrown off by the outboard leg. No surprise as it has no hull in front of it. So it needs a fairing, just like the one I fit on my Skoota 20 and 24 designs

But remember a beach cat has little payload, the Quattro 16 is a better choice than a 14fter

Richard Woods of Woods Designs