FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by Coach »

Boat is looking great! You are bookin' right along. I called to get inspected and sent an email. Girl said an officer will get back to me. Still waiting for inspection date. It's been a little over a week so hopefully I will hear back this week from MA Enviro police to get my HIN.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Coach wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 pm Boat is looking great! You are bookin' right along. I called to get inspected and sent an email. Girl said an officer will get back to me. Still waiting for inspection date. It's been a little over a week so hopefully I will hear back this week from MA Enviro police to get my HIN.
I filled out their online form to request an inspection and thought I'd wait a few weeks. Got a call 2 or 3 business days later asking if they could come tomorrow. Probably just based on your local officers availability. So that part was easier than expected, hope you get a call back soon.

As soon as I got that inspection I filled out the registration paperwork. All their offices are still closed which I didn't realize, so mail in only. Since the homemade boat isn't common it was a little difficult to get the paperwork perfect to mail in, especially the salestax exemption(st-6e). They warn you if you mail in the st-6e it will take many weeks, they want you to use the online form. The online form is only set up for buying a boat though. I filled it out putting myself for the buyer and seller, then when you choose the reason you are exempt you can choose other and explain that you paid tax on the materials. I got the confirmation I needed to mail in for the boat registration, not sure I won't get a letter from the tax office later making me fix the exemption though.

Sent all the registration paperwork and a check in Friday, hopefully I got it all right and can get a HIN assigned. We'll see, would have been a lot easier to do in person for the strange use case.

I can't use my slip until the boat is insured, which of course requires it to be registered, which is why I'm trying to get ahead of this process.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

The boat looks great. I’m just up the road from you in NH and our DMV offices are open so just assumed yours would be as well. Shows how things can change with that state line. I think I’ve only driven to Logan twice since this all started so am obviously out of touch with MA.
Alan.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:04 pm The boat looks great. I’m just up the road from you in NH and our DMV offices are open so just assumed yours would be as well. Shows how things can change with that state line. I think I’ve only driven to Logan twice since this all started so am obviously out of touch with MA.
Our RMV is open(i think appointment only) but you need to see the environmental police for boat registration. Usually that's great since you don't have to go to the RMV!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I've been fairing the side decks and also rounded and sanded the rub rail. A few days of fairing all the final areas of the hull are in my future.

Couldn't help but have a sneak peak at how the rub rail will look varnished after sanding, by wetting it with some alcohol. I think it will look pretty sweet with the red hull I have planned.
Imgur Album

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Beautiful boat! The rubrails are going to look great!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree, beautiful work!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Found one more spot of poor adhesion on the transom so I just sanded the entire thing down to re-fair. Better than wondering if I got it all.
Imgur Album

Took a fun break and installed the hydraulic steering cylinder on the motor. Systems stuff is a nice change of pace.
Imgur Album

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Great work. I love the raised sheer on the FS17. You are really doing a nice job. If you need any help with selecting a prop when the time comes, I'm here.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:38 pm Great work. I love the raised sheer on the FS17. You are really doing a nice job. If you need any help with selecting a prop when the time comes, I'm here.

Tom
Thanks Tom, once I weight the boat I'll reach out. The place I bought the motor should select a prop to try out but it will be good to have a second opinion on where to start.