FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by Fuzz »

Taking mom for a ride in the boat you built had to have felt good :D

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:35 pm Taking mom for a ride in the boat you built had to have felt good :D
Least I could do after taking over her garage for about 5 years!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Nice work Joe, conrgats on the pre-paint splash! Looks really professional! Taking Mom for a ride around the harbor islands in a boat you built in her garage is priceless!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Joe glad you got her in the water this summer. Hope your mom enjoyed her ride.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Her lines above the water looks a lot like an OD18 with the raised sheer. Beautiful job.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Your boat looks incredible! How did I miss this build log! Love the details.

I agree with Cape Man - lovely lines that remind me of an OD - did you build the Hull exactly as per the plans? Can’t wait to see more photos.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

TomTom wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:25 am Your boat looks incredible! How did I miss this build log! Love the details.

I agree with Cape Man - lovely lines that remind me of an OD - did you build the Hull exactly as per the plans? Can’t wait to see more photos.
Thanks! No I much prefer the look of a raised bow(can't hurt to keep you dry either) so when I raised the sheer I rocked the top panel up at the bow to add about an extra 3" of height at the bow end compared to the raised sheer plans.

Alright picking up what I was doing at the end of February...

My hatch frames were not deep enough to properly locate the catch for the latch so I added an extra piece everywhere a latch was going.
Imgur Album

I also installed the HIN I etched out of 316 stainless on the transom and glued 2 other into small pieces of wood to install in hidden areas later.
Imgur Album

Epoxy coated all the hatches and some other parts that were still exposed wood on the edges and to fill the weave.
Imgur Album

By the end of March I had primed the decks and inwhales.
Imgur Album

Our pup was 6 months old at that point so he had to inspect the work.
Imgur Album

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Now at the beginning of April the focus was on console, seat, and hatches. These items were behind schedule compared the boat itself and I could work on them closer to home. I needed to seal up the exposed edges of these parts. All large surfaces had at least one layer of cloth, so just focusing on edges.
Imgur Album

Next up I primed the inside of these components.
Imgur Album

I realized I needed some venting on the fuel tank compartment, so cut out some holes for vents and added backing plates so the vent itself would be flush on the outside which you will see later.
Imgur Album

Next up I glassed all the outside edges of the seats and console. I wasn't originally planning to do this since the insides are glassed and it would add a lot of fairing. A friends console seat had cracked during a rough trip and I was thinking about how some of the edges may be high wear, so I decided to do it. First on the seats.
Imgur Album

I also primed the swim platform(such a pain to fair), antenna/light mast, inside of console, and the back of the console control panel.
Imgur Album

Swim platform looked great dry fit!
Imgur Album

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Great to see all the details and custom touches you have put into your build! Like a lot of the builds here yours is one of a kind!
I for one would like to see more pictures.
Bob M.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Great looking work Joe!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie