FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Joe, what kind of paint is the gray on the deck and in the bilge?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 pm Joe, what kind of paint is the gray on the deck and in the bilge?
The flat grey on the deck and sides is system 3 yacht primer. Great paint I highly recommend.

The gloss grey in the bilge and storage areas is totalbilge bilge paint from Jamestown distributers. I like most of their products but not this one. It's really hard to keep a wet edge but then takes forever to really cure so you don't have to be careful with it. Next time I'd use Interlux Bilgekote instead, friends have had great luck with it.

I do like using bilge paint of some type though, smooth glossy surface makes it easy to keep clean and see if anything is starting to leak. Should be quite durable too... but we'll see on that front with this particular paint.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Very clean!!! Jeff

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

joe2700 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 pm Joe, what kind of paint is the gray on the deck and in the bilge?
The flat grey on the deck and sides is system 3 yacht primer. Great paint I highly recommend.

The gloss grey in the bilge and storage areas is totalbilge bilge paint from Jamestown distributers. I like most of their products but not this one. It's really hard to keep a wet edge but then takes forever to really cure so you don't have to be careful with it. Next time I'd use Interlux Bilgekote instead, friends have had great luck with it.

I do like using bilge paint of some type though, smooth glossy surface makes it easy to keep clean and see if anything is starting to leak. Should be quite durable too... but we'll see on that front with this particular paint.
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking into bilge paint and have been looking at the TB stuff. Will take a closer look at Interlux.

Looking good as always, Joe!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Installed my fuel tank. Used Moellers aluminum brackets on the front, and have rubber pads on the back and side corners. Those pads are quite tight but the rest of the tank has plenty of room for expansion. Hoping that's an acceptable installation being tight right on the corners. If seems like with ample space everywhere else it could just flex as it expands? A little hard to tell as the sides are very convex right now. It's not going to come out easy after it expands at all thats certain.
Imgur Album

Also glued in my bow deck...
Imgur Album

Motorwell bottom...
Imgur Album

And the rear hatch frames. Also rounded the tops of the inwhales ready to fillet and glass soon. Last fiberglass on the hull I think.
Imgur Album

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

The environmental police came by and did the homemade boat inspection today. I made the request earlier this week thinking the wait would be at least a few weeks, but they were able to come today. Was just a quick look at the boat and motor to fill out a short form. He said this is the first truly homemade boat he's inspected, they are normally older rebuilt boats that don't have a HIN.

Glad to get it done early though, since there will be some time consuming back and forth to get this all done. All the registration office are closed and only doing registrations by mail. I sent my application and tax exemption in, hoping I didn't make any mistakes since it's not in person to correct. I hope to get my HIN in about a week, then I'll need to get that engraved and on the boat, then send proof in, then get the actual registration, then get it insured. If I can complete all that by the time I finish the boat I can put it on my slip and actually use it for a late fall season.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Boat looks great! Big step getting her registered too

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Made a tool to shape the fillet on the side deck.
Imgur Album

Then ran a fillet all the way around. Used the rest of my ez fillet and when that ran out I mixed my own about 50-50 colloidal silica and microballons. Was pretty neat except near the corners where it was messy but that's ok.
Imgur Album

When that was firm but pliable I glassed over it. Wetted the glass on the bench in 4' pieces then carried it over and applied it with a fiberglass roller. Used this to smooth any imperfections in the fillet since it could still be shaped. Overall I think it came out really nice for a complicated joint. Should mean less fairing.
Imgur Album

Also did some work on the fuel system. Installed the barbed fittings at tank and fuel filter with gasoline rated plumbers tape. Straight barb out of the tank and out of the filter to the motor. Valved barb for the 2 inputs to the filter. One from the tank and one will be if I ever want to run from a portable tank for any reason. Installed the hose from tank to filter and the hose from filter to where the motor will be.
Imgur Album

And did a final confirmation my fuel fill and vent hoses would work before I finalize the console interior.
Imgur Album

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I like the fairing tool!

I like the vent hose cabinet. You might want to put some sort of anti-chaff material over the hose. Vibration will wear a hole.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

BB Sig wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:59 am I like the fairing tool!

I like the vent hose cabinet. You might want to put some sort of anti-chaff material over the hose. Vibration will wear a hole.
Good point. I'll have access to it so I can run it for a little while then look for any scuffing on the hose and add some protection to those areas.