FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by joe2700 »

My bow deck is curved, and has a low spot in front of the hatch where the cleat goes. I think it developed when I glued in the deck, and it became more obvious when I created the lip around the edge, that was actually higher that the middle. Since the tip of the bow is correct, and so is the edge of the hatch opening, I just loaded the area with quick fair and pivoted a straight edge across it. Got the basic shape in the first pass, but the middle still has some low spots to fill in.
Imgur Album

I continued a second pass of fairing down the sidedecks. I also worked on my new dash layout now that I'm going all digital instead of some analogue gauges. First I carefully laid out the outer dimensions and center point of each item on some particle board. I want to keep this carefully laid out reference so I drilled a small hole at each corner and transferred the points through to a second piece of particle board.
Imgur Album

I also wanted to save the cutout templates for when I do the real cutouts on the console, so I transferred the measurements to my template and cut them out. Put in my two. 9" displays, vhf, usb charger, and stereo control pad. I think they look great, and no unexpected conflicts with spacing.
Imgur Album

And they fit with all the sun covers on too.
Imgur Album

Working with the electronics is so much more fun... but gotta keep fairing I'm almost done that part. Need to get across the finish line on it.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am going to go out on a limb here. What we have is not a boat but another work of art :D

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 pm I am going to go out on a limb here. What we have is not a boat but another work of art :D
I appreciate it Fuzz, but let's not jump the gun. Still plenty of ways to mess it all up!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Started off enlarging the gap between the cooler and seat back. Put the whole seat back through the table saw to cut a corner off.
Imgur Album

Then I clamped in a new vertical piece. This will net me about 3/8".
Imgur Album

I gained the last 1/8" I need by extending how far forward the arms can pivot. After shaping the arms and their guides and bolting it all together the seat back works really well. Slides easily but feels rock solid. You can shake the whole boat from the seat back.
Imgur Album

Getting back to the hatches I drilled and tapped the g10 in them for the hinge screws. This worked well but the friction hinges are chunky, so decided to inset them. Another thing that will burn a few hours, but I think it looks much nicer. Very happy I went with the tapped g10 in the hatches, they feel very secure, more secure than a wood screw into thin plywood ever could. The curve of the anchor hatch doesn't quite match the deck anymore. It does with a little pressure, I'm hoping when it's latched it will look right, otherwise I'll need to reshape this hatch lid.
Imgur Album

I also clamped the backer on all my hatches. Some of my 3/8" hatches were warping a little so instead of just putting a backer where the latch goes, I decided to put a 1/2" backer on the entire hatch. I first screwed my hatches down to a flat piece of plywood, then glued on the backers. Let it all cure before removing the hatches from the flat board and they are now nice and flat.
Imgur Album

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Any updates? I had been following this build closely.... It was looking great and very close to being finished.
Hope all is well with the builder

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Rmarsh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:48 am Any updates? I had been following this build closely.... It was looking great and very close to being finished.
Joe posted somewhere else on the forum in late September, so hopefully he is still working on this beautiful boat.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What thickness is the console where the mfds go?

Mine is 3/4 and not happy about the weight of it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Rmarsh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:48 am Any updates? I had been following this build closely.... It was looking great and very close to being finished.
Sorry I disappeared! Just got busy with life this past year trying to finish the boat and prep for a wedding and with work as always.

Overall I finished the boat over the summer other than final paint and a few accessories. Was going to have a pro paint it but that was getting delayed so I splashed it at the beginning of August in primer gray and enjoyed using it until I had to pull it out at the beginning of November. I'm now planning to paint it myself this winter.

I'll post a few teaser pics below but I do plan to catch back up with the detailed build log since I like having it for myself anyway.
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 am What thickness is the console where the mfds go?

Mine is 3/4 and not happy about the weight of it.
Probably too late to be helpful, but my whole console is 1/2"

Here is an album showing the boat on it's first trip out to the Boston Harbor islands, it's last sunset cruise of the season a few days ago, taking my Mom for a ride, and our pup enjoying the boat.
Imgur Album

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Joe...glad to hear that you are well.... and that you finished (except final paint) your boat and got it in the water! I look forward to your updates, trips, and performance reports!
wow...your console came out great!